Skip to main content

Monday, Monday

The Bible Study I've been attending on Tuesdays finished up today. Yes, I know this is Monday, but our group leader had a scheduling conflict so we moved it to today. While I know timing wise it's the perfect time to take a break, I'm really going to miss meeting with these ladies. It's been a great group, and a good study. I look forward to finishing the book in the fall.

My original plan for today had been to work some in the garden today and get some things done before the rain started. But when I stopped at Ken's Produce on the way home, two unplanned things happened. One, the bales of hay I needed to purchase were out. Two, they had tomato seedlings in 4pks for $2.00. I usually wait until later in April to purchase my tomato plants from Lowe's or Home Depot. You can get a qt pot for about $2.50.  So these are nowhere near the same size that I normally get, but I figured since things have been SO warm this year and I'm planting a lot earlier, it's okay to go with smaller plants. Yes. I'm a sucker for a bargain. Except in order to get the varieties I wanted, I had to get more plants. Last year I went with 8 plants and it was the perfect amount for us. I think I planted 12 today, taking up some of my pea space, and I still have a few seedlings left. I could plant them beside the house or along the privacy fence, but then they're exposed to my crazy chickens who dig and claw around plants, leaving them horizontal on the ground. So I'm not sure where I'll put the extras. But I'm still ahead in the cost department. :)

Since I really needed to get the straw out before the rain arrived, we headed to Hudson's Hardware after I got home. They had the straw. We brought our three bales home, got them out of the van, swept the van, then had a very shocking discovery.  There were two baby bunnies sitting on the newspaper in the garden beside the last bale of straw. I'm not kidding. We don't know if they came home in the bales, or if they hopped out from under the shed...but there they were...in my garden to be. So with thoughts of Mr. McGregor and Peter Rabbit, I pulled out the rabbit cage from many years ago, prepped the bedding for it, and nervously headed near the garden with a net. One immediately hopped away and hid between the old dog pen and the garden gate. So I went for the closer one, gently tapped his bottom but he hopped through the net (which unbeknownst to me had a hole or two in it), across the garden, out the garden fence, and under the privacy fence onto the school property. When I turned to the second bunny, I actually had my hand on his hind quarters, but I didn't want to squeeze it too hard and the rascal wiggled out and hopped under the little shed. They're cute as all get all, but I'm not thrilled with the idea of two critters helping themselves to my garden. I'm contemplating placing poultry netting along the edges of all my garden fence to help deter them. I know they'll simply tunnel under, but it might at least slow them down long enough that I can get at least some food from the garden.

If that was not crazy enough, the cabbage head that has been growing so nicely in one of my planters...the geese have discovered it and have sheered two of its sides. Grrrr...

And instead of finishing up my to do list for today we tackled the penning the animals up (not quite successful with 3 of the chickens) as the work on our driveway begins tomorrow. I have to remind myself that it's really not necessary to do everything all at once in the garden. Spring crops don't normally go in until the middle of the month. I'm only doing things early because the temps have been so unusually warm this year.

Then some things came up with a family I sometimes help. I now have two days set aside this week helping with some unexpected health issues they have. I'm thankful I can help, but I also know that's going to really cut down on how much I can get done here at home this week. One step at a time...that's all I need to focus on...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut