Skip to main content

MC Escher

Friday we went to the NC Art Museum to see the MC Escher exhibit. Our tickets included the exhibit for the journal of Leonardo da Vinci, but you had to go through a security checkpoint and certain items (including cell phones) were placed in a ziplock and held at the checkpoint to be picked up when you exited. Bobby didn't want to empty his wheelchair pouch (he's had a bad experience with that - mainly the Wake County courthouse security team confiscating his adapted fork because "it could be a weapon".  Those things aren't easy to replace!) and as I mainly wanted to see Escher's works and knew we wouldn't be able to read the journal anyway AND was getting more than a little tired of the crowd and my feet were tired, we left after the Escher exhibit.

And for me, it was worth it. I learned quite a few new things about the artist, and I really enjoyed seeing the changes in his artwork throughout  his life. I don't think Bobby was a huge fan afterwards, though he did seem to enjoy looking at the pieces. Some of his work reminded me of my childhood when we'd stretch out upside down on the couch or stairs, and I'd ponder what it would be like if our house was upside down. My sister said it would never work because no one would want to step up and over (the space above the door) to get into the next room. But it reminded me of our visit to the battleship in Mobile, and I knew the doors to the ships required you to step through the opening instead of walking through like we do at home. So it's not that far of a stretch of the imagination to think of that.

I also appreciated his quotes from Scripture in his earlier works, as well as his willingness to leave his adopted country of Italy out of concern for his sons before WWII. Leaving a place you love is never easy, even when it's for the right reasons.

I didn't grow up exposed to art. When I was studying graphic design at Wake Tech, one of the classes we took included a lot of art history lessons. My teacher was horrified to find out that I had never heard of Escher. I didn't bother to tell her I was ignorant of almost every artist we studied. But I liked what we read and saw of his work enough that his is one of the few names I remember from that semester. If you like puzzles or quirky things that are well done, he's an artist worth researching.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut