Skip to main content

thinking about tomorrow

We live we love
We forgive and never give up
‘Cause the days we are given are gifts from above
Today we remember to live and to love

Life is such a gift
So how does the story end
Well this is your story and it all depends
So don’t let it become true
Get out and do what we were meant to do…

(excerpts from Superchick's "We Live")


This is one of the two songs that has been occupying my brain and thoughts lately. (The other song is "Don't Stop" by Fleetwood Mac.)

Many of you know that last June I half-heartily started trying to lose weight, and that in August I started regularly going to the local wellness center. It's now eight months in, and I've been a little discouraged lately. Yet this past week I've also realized how silly my discouragement has been/is.

Here's the reality:
  • In eight months my blood pressure has dropped away from the high border zone and the high bp headaches have stopped.
  • I have successfully lost and kept off ten pounds. (We won't discuss how many times those pounds came back on and were lost again.)
  • Our eating habits have gotten a little bit better.
  • I'm now able to walk up the hill behind our house without bending double or gasping for air.
  • I've dropped a skirt size. Granted, that lower size is tight, but just the fact that it will zip and not be in danger of popping if I move is thrilling.
  • I don't have the extreme, addictive, unhealthy cravings of chocolate as often as I used to.
  • I no longer come home from the gym and crash for two hours, physically drop-dead exhausted.
and here's my unrealistic expectations that I fight:
  • that the weight I've gained the last 15 years will ooze off in 1 year.
  • that 20 years of bad eating habits will majestically and easily be corrected
  • that eating healthy will just magically happen without me having to think about it
  • that all this exercise will give me energy (hahahahahahahahahahahaha)
If my benefit list is so much longer than my unrealistic disappointment list, then why am I so discouraged? Perhaps I need to get my focus off of the storm and onto the reality that Christ is in the boat with me, and that I really and truly can do ALL things through Him. This temple of mine will never again look like the 17 year old frame that it once was, but that doesn't mean I have to let it remain in the horrid disrepair that it has been. And as we all know, remodeling and projects take time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut