Skip to main content

why math is important

About two weeks ago a certain kindergarten teacher passed off to me a little ziploc bag full of ooey-gooey starter. I came home, googled the directions and sundry recipes for it, and the process began. By day ten I was debating whether or not this Friendship bread stuff was really a very friendly thing. But the end of day ten, I realized one very important thing: MATH is important!

The directions are simple for day ten: Add 1 c milk, 1 c flour, 1 c sugar, stir. Pour out 3 cups into containers to give friends (or to make bread), and keep the last cup to continue the yeast process. Simple, right? That means you'll have four containers after everything is said and done. One for the starter, one for my cinnamon rolls, one for bread. So somewhere in my warped thinking, that equaled four. (Yes, I may have two bachelors and an associates degree, but I'm NOT smarter than a fifth grader!) As it comes time to knead the cinnamon rolls, the goop is still, well, goop. Then I realized what I had done, and by that time the mixture was added and there was no choice but to DOUBLE the recipe. Do you have any idea how many cinnamon rolls that makes? (three 13x9 pan fulls, in case you don't). Thankfully we had little friends over that night, as well as Mrs. Bryan. That took care of half a pan. I froze the rest, though I'm not totally sure why. After all, they were okay. Not great, not ooh-aah make you want to swallow your tongue delicious, just okay. But either way, they are now taking up space in my freezer.

So now today, ten days out, is round 2. Three loaves of sourdough bread are rising (one cup of goop will make three small loaves of bread), as well as rolls for church on Sunday. I'm not sure how well sourdough rolls will turn out, but hopefully okay. If not, then my chickens are going to have a lot of time-intensive food to eat. I've also got my starter put back as well as a bag to give to a friend. (Am I nice friend to give someone more work to do or what?)

AND I found a recipe on-line that uses the batter that is for plain white bread, as well as an apple bread. Maybe I should be more specific: a recipe that uses normal ingredients (NOT pudding mix!) Do people really think the Amish use pudding mixes? I like pudding mixes, don't get me wrong, but why would I waste time making homemade bread from yeast only to throw a sugar induced pudding mix into it?

I'm not sure how many more weeks I'll keep this up. Bread machine bread is good, and it's much more time convenient. There's also yeast packets that you can use to make your own bread that doesn't require stirring and mixing for ten days before baking. Has anyone else tried this friendship bread?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut