Skip to main content

more steamy thoughts

We live, we love. We forgive and never give up.
'Cause the days we are given are gifts from above.
~ "We Live" from SuperChik's Beauty from Pain 1.1

Tonight I heard more than one person comment on how they wished they had lived for Christ in their twenties. Today I also talked with more than one person who has serious health issues and each day, and sometimes nights, is a struggle of great sorts. This morning I was reminded of the importance of forgiveness and not keeping wrongs, and how that is such an ongoing battle of the flesh.

Our lives are vapors, the Scripture tells us. We're essentially steam...not only in the air we breathe in and out, but also in essence of time.

I don't know what made me realize this a few months ago, but if I live the average life span that my grandmothers lived, my life is now half over. That's a very sobering thought. Mind you, I was one of those teens who read Ephesians 6 about children obeying their parents so they could live longer and was in a crux. I wanted to do right and obey my parents, but I've never wanted to live to be old. But still, there's so much I want to do and accomplish in my life. I'm starting to recognize that many of them will never, ever happen, and that's okay. Other things I've started making more of a concerted effort to see the dreams come to fruition. It's as if I've turned the hourglass and the sand is pouring.

And I still find myself struggling to reconcile what the world teaches is success, what makes me happy, and what the Bible teaches. And those three things don't always blend harmoniously, if at all. So it may be as this body continuously vents its remaining steam, I find my dreams and goals morphing into something different. Meanwhile, I've got to recognize each day as the good gift my Maker has given me and use it wisely.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut