Skip to main content

Lucy

 This weekend most of our family gathered for two celebrations.  One of the many things I enjoyed was a little bit of time with my great niece Lucy. It's been a year and a half since I had seen her in person, which is a long time for a three year old!

She is SO tall, which her Mom is average height and her Dad is tall, so that's not a huge surprise. My sister who teaches a K5/1st grade class commented that she was the same height as some of her students.  And she has the longest eyelashes. Mine might be as thick as hers, but are nowhere near as long.

We were all very pleased at how well she did adapting to new surroundings and strange people. The first morning was a little tough for her, but once we got past that, she stayed calm. My sister-in-law has worked with many autistic children in school, and she was extremely pleased and surprised with how well Lucy did.

I was surprised and pleased to see that her finger dexterity has improved since the last time I saw her. One time I was counting and holding up each one of my fingers and stopped at three and said "Lucy is three."  Her face lit up, and she tried to pry my fourth and fifth finger up. We did it several times, and each time she would smile, then frown and reach for my hand as I stopped at three. She's clearly been counting with someone else.  And it absolutely made my Dad's day when on her last day she would put out her fingers and toes for him to count.  While she giggled the evening of the first day when I tried "this little piggy" on her toes, she wasn't overly thrilled with me touching them.

We learned she does NOT like kiwi, and we tried really hard not to laugh at her response.  After a few chews, she grimaced and went ramrod straight, took it out of her mouth and placed it on the couch, then wiped her tongue with her hand a few times. When my sister asked her if she didn't like the kiwi, she responded with a gag. We quickly learned over the two days that was her response to things she didn't like, which was an appropriate action to make if you are nonverbal. But her little tongue is so cute when she does it that it's hard not to laugh. I know it won't be cute as she gets older, but for now, it is her way of expressing displeasure or dislike and it's a bit humorous. Whole grain chips, milkshakes and balloons, on the other hand, were big hits. The homemade mac-n-cheese that was a little on the greasy side...not so much.

Mother was tickled at her climbing, and even at her recognition (or remembering?) that Mom was not able to lift her. When Lucy tried to get off the bed and Mom told her she couldn't help her, Lucy slid to the edge and leaned back. Mom was able to put her hand there so she wouldn't fall down, but Lucy slowly slid off the bed. I guess she just wanted that security.

While she still runs/paces, it's not as frantic as it was 1.5 years ago and she'll pause in her laps to do things or look at something, which for some reason I find reassuring.

I wish we were closer so we could be with her more, but I am so thankful for the time we did have.  I'm missing the sound of those little footsteps this morning and seeing those curls bouncing as she runs.

We love Lucy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut