Skip to main content

bizarre and strange

 Made a quick trip to the grocery store as we prepare for another weekend of indoors, this time because of snow. (Weeks 1 - ice and covid, week 2- snow).

Between the crazy weather creating havoc with road conditions and the uproar in the supply chain since covid began, our grocery stores are once again putting out quotas on what you can buy. No more than 2 packs of meat, toilet paper, or milk per person. Thankfully that doesn't impact us, but it does make me wonder what large families are doing. Do they make multiple trips, or ask smaller families like us to purchase extra and share?  Sugar continues to only be available in a 10 lb bag, apple juice is almost non-existent, crackers and salt were almost totally gone.  I'm not longer shocked by the sight of empty shelves. I simply take note of what it is so I can keep an eye out for it somewhere else should it be an item we need.

I actually bought straws at Sam's Club yesterday. I don't like buying items like that in bulk, but Target has now been out of them for almost 3 months.  Sometimes Food Lion has them; sometimes they don't. It made more sense to purchase them at the cheaper price and to know Bobby would have what he truly needs when he needs it.  I know some of the straw issue is an environmental one, but for us it extremely helpful and almost necessary. 

Usually when I leave the grocery store I try to give thanks that in our land of plenty our shelves are not bare; we just have a few bald spots. And usually there is a similar item to purchase, even if it is limited quantity and not a brand we've used before. But today I left feeling uneasy, and I'm not sure why. Perhaps the spoiled American in me wants things to return to the overabundant, multiple choice, carefree lifestyle we used to have. Maybe I'm recognizing warning signs of what might be to come. It's possible my brain has been drawn to the Ukraine situation and a little amazed/alarmed the local news actually introduced the Uighyer problem in China this morning.  While I found their story barely touching the surface and extremely naive, the fact they told it all after almost 5 years of events makes me wonder if the world is slowly waking up and we are heading into things few alive today have witnessed.

But pondering all these things are not going to help me clean the house or get things ready for my sister-in-law's baby shower next weekend. I'm stepping out of my comfort zone and making the crib sheets, diaper bag, teething guard and changing pad cover for the nursery. All things I've never done before.  I'm excited for the opportunity, but a little concerned I might mess things up. And if I do, thank God for etsy. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut