Skip to main content

mid August

Yesterday I received my materials that I'll be teaching the end of September. My "dry run" (where I teach to the Board of Elections staff to make sure I know the material and am prepared) is September 9th. We will be teaching in a mask, thanks to the surge of Delta variant covid cases.

Tomorrow Wake County enters mask requirements for anywhere in public once again. This time they are not mandating social distancing, just masks. Personally, I think they may fear the outcome of the upcoming elections if another stay at home order comes. But that is solely opinion and not fact.

Today Alabama Free Will Baptists lost two more pastors to Covid.  One of them, Bro. Glen Hood, was very influential in Dad's life when he first started as a pastor. I attended college with his oldest daughter Stephanie, who is one of the kindest and classiest people I've ever met. My heart goes out to her and her Mom and younger sister Allison.

My great-niece Lucy started school this week. I think there were many prayers going up from the Stox/Parrish/White family.  While she is only two years old, (three next week!), we are so thankful the state of Virginia provides special education classes when children need them that includes helpful therapy free to families. The report from her first day made me laugh, and my understanding is that on day two she was still loving school. She did actually speak a word the first day, which now makes twice in six months she has spoken actual words. We are rejoicing!!


Tonight we went to GPAC (Garner Performing Arts Center) to hear the Chatham Rabbits. I loved it!! They limited the crowd to only 50 people and livestreamed for others. We were the only ones sitting in the back of the auditorium. My mother-in-law acted like she does in church - the mask came off not long after she sat down (her church requires masks inside and never dropped that requirement), Bobby was getting too hot so not enjoying it, but I have followed the group on  Facebook and might actually see if they have some of their music on itunes. (Yes. I still use my ipod.)

A mole destroyed the root system of one of my tomato plants; snake skin found in the garden; peas are dying out but okra stalks have suddenly appeared. I did pick one eggplant this year. One! Ha!  Bobby said our younger dog actually dug up a mole last week and set it down and backed away as if to say "What am I supposed to do with this?"  I don't think she killed it.

My heart continues to hurt for the craziness happening in Afghanistan. My thoughts bounce all over the place as I attempt to pray.  I do not understand why God chose me to be born in a country of such great freedom and wealth when others who are so much more talented are born in places of suppression, poverty and no opportunities. But I do firmly believe the principles of Genesis 12:1-3, that we have been blessed in order to bless others. A group that helps refugees relocate and restart is located in Durham NC and they are preparing for up to 30 families to settle here within the next two weeks. The tutoring/mentoring volunteers that they need do jobs very similar to what I had to do in language school in China, so I am seriously praying/considering whether that is an avenue to pursue, or if that is more time/energy than I have to invest at the moment. Meanwhile, I can help gather needed items to stock apartments for families who literally had to flee with only one or two small bags.

And I have been very disappointed with American media and am again going to BBC for world information. While our nation is amazing, we are also so inwardly focused that the country term "navel gazing" aptly applies.

While Mom & Dad are doing well, they are aging. It's harder to hear/read reports and not be close enough to help them with daily activities.

And my goal to reclaim the dining room from two massive projects has not yet happened. But I am steadily plugging away, hoping that one day they both will actually be finished. Or at least in an acceptable state of progress. Several years ago a friend of mine posted a statement that read something like "I can't stop a bird from flying overhead; I can stop that bird from building nests in my hair."  That has been my mantra these last two months. I'm still in the pulling twigs out of my hair stage, but thankfully there has yet to be the shape of a nest forming! Meanwhile I agreed to do a project for my sister in the next two weeks. I'm hoping it's as quick and easy as the pattern says! 

And that catches us up to this point in August!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut