Skip to main content

good, but not chocolate chip

Back in February someone posted a recipe for strawberry cookies with white chocolate chunks. I printed it out, but never got around to trying it until this week. They're a little sweet, so if I make them again I might cut back on the sugar some. I also doubled the recipe so I didn't have to cut a bar of cream cheese or butter in half. :)  And it called for a bar of white chocolate, chopped or shredded, but I adapted...

1 1/4 c flour
1/4 c unsalted butter -softened
4 oz cream cheese -softened
3/4 c sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 c chopped strawberries (I had a small bag of frozen strawberries in the freezer that I had thawed and drained)
1 bag of white chocolate chips

Preheat to 350. (It says to line pans with parchment paper, but I didn't have any so just lightly greased by cookie sheets.)
Beat butter and sugar and cream cheese until fluffy.
Add egg and vanilla and mix well.
Gradually add flour until well combined.
Stir in chocolate.
In a side bowl, toss strawberries with 1-2 T of flour until coated. Gently add them to the mixture.
Drop in heaping T onto cookie sheet, leaving about an inch in between.
Bake for 13-15 minutes.
Cool a little before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.


Restaurants here are open for drive-thru and take out. I realized this week that one of the things I enjoy about us going out (and it's usually to Bojangles or Zaxby's) is that it gives me a few minutes out of the house without worrying about dishes or the phone to think before we move on to the next task. And I have really missed that. But I have enjoyed making dishes that I haven't made in a while (though starting Sunday it's back to watching sugar intake!) and trying a few new things. And even though I don't have a lot of appointments and meetings, it's enough that I have really enjoyed having a breather these last few days. I'm looking forward to the next twenty-one days of solitude and have quite a few things I hope to accomplish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

fun...funny houses

 We saw the above house in Pittsboro while on our way to the mountains. It was the strangest house I've ever seen. Evidently this isn't a modification, for Bobby remembers thinking it funny as a child. Evidently a governor lived here at one point. I think the sign said it's now a Masonic lodge. And if seeing one funny house wasn't enough, the latest issue of This Old House had a link to their website that had several galleries of funny (or strange houses). Here's my favorites from their collection:   Szymbark , Poland  This just makes me laugh, and I would love to visit this house in person. Created by a designer who wanted to demonstrate "wrong-doings against humanity".  Visitors have stood in line for as long as 6 hours to tour the house, and many come out feeling "sea-sick".     Kalambaka, Greece... This 1,000 foot cliff drop has housed monastaries since the 11th century. Six of them are open to the public, " assuming, of course, th