Skip to main content

The Lost Colony

One of the many things we've talked about doing the last 14 years has been going to Manteo, NC to see the Lost Colony. I've heard Bobby talk about it, I've read reviews, I've seen magazine articles about how amazingly awesome this outdoor drama is. We actually had a free weekend the end of May, so we went.

I was more than a tad disgusted/disappointed when I called to get tickets. According to the receptionist, they do offer wheelchair seating but not companion seats (a folding chair that can be placed next to the wheelchair). I would only be allowed to sit behind him. And that irked me more than just a little bit. Yes, I understand handicap seating is limited and there needs to be ample space available for wheelchairs and scooters. I so totally get that. But can you imagine anyone else calling and being told "I'm sorry. Even though it's only two tickets, we are not allowed to place groups together. You'll both have to sit in different rows. But don't worry. You'll be able to see each other and will be within hearing distance during intermission." No one would happily accept that. I let her know I wasn't thrilled with the thought of buying two tickets and yet not being able to sit with my husband. She basically said, "Well, do you want the tickets or not?" although in a nice way. And because we've talked about this so long, I bought them.

When we arrived that night, the seating attendant had no clue where the ADA seating was. I finally intercepted her from checking rows to tell her that ADA was wheelchair seating, and mentioned that my ticket wasn't with his. She just shrugged, and said "Grab a chair. There's plenty." We looked, and sure enough, of the long row of wheelchair seats and folding chair, only two were taken. TWO, out of twenty. So I did.

The acting and sets of the play are truly outstanding. The play itself, not so much. They took a LOT of historical liberties with the script (think the history of the Titanic and the latest movie of the Titanic). The war scenes between the Indians and colonists were done about as tastefully as could be, and yet when they were over, the audience cheered and clapped. And that left us both dumbfounded. Why? Why would you cheer for the death of a person, for the death of a friendship, for the stealing of land and usurption of power, for revenge? What does that say about us as a society that we would find a war scene funny? Yes, there were a few comical moments in one of the scenes, but there was NOTHING content wise that should have prompted the cheers, whooops, and laughter when the scenes ended. It left me very uneasy.

So if I had to grade this particular play, here's how I would grade them:

ADA (American Disabilities Act) Compliance: C-
Ticketing: D
Parking: C-
Employees: B-
Historical Accuracy: D
Acting: A
Staging: A+
Costuming: B
Choreography: B-
Music: A

How's that for an all over the board experience?  Photography wasn't allowed, or I would have gladly posted photos of some of the staging, which was totally incredible.


Comments

Jennifer said…
wow, that is all over the board! glad you're back to blogging.
Lydia said…
Glad y'all got to go. Who can we call about the whole ADA and ticketing?

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut