Skip to main content

Saturday

I updated my quilting page (see the tab to the right) yesterday. 

Saturday we drove to "Little Washington" (Washington, NC) to attend my niece's high school graduation party. While in SC, she was enrolled in a program that allowed students to take more classes than normal so their senior year of school they could take classes at a local community college for credit. Ellen had been heading that direction when her family moved to NC, where things are very different. She ended last semester only needing two classes and the county's required community service/research paper to graduate, but the school wasn't offering those two classes and was unwilling to work with her to allow her to graduate a year early. My sister teaches in a charter school, and the principal there graciously allowed her to transfer, take the one class they offered, leave school to do community service and work on her project, and take the last class online.

But then the mission trip Ellen signed up for last year, which wasn't a problem on SC school schedule, became a problem as NC public schools don't end until June. So Ellen decided she didn't really have a heart connection to her class or the school, and so she was skipping the graduation ceremony for her mission trip. As my brother-in-law said, "It's not like she's dropping out or taking a cruise or something..."  So they had a big party for her to celebrate instead. And the evening her "classmates" walk across the stage, she will have already had a week of training in Nashville and will have been in Uruguay for 2 days. I'm more than a little proud of her.

And here's Ellen Marie with her quilt. (For more pics, visit the quilt page.)

Comments

Lydia said…
Love the quilt- ALL your quilts are lovely!!! The one you made Rebecca is about to move to Rhode Island, will be interesting where that quilt goes every 3 years:)

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut