Skip to main content

The Fisherman's Wharf - Manteo part 2

The first night we were in Manteo, the lady at the hotel desk suggested we drive to the end of the island to a small community called Wanchese (which I later learned was the name of one of the Indian guides to the new colony). At the very end of the road was a restaurant that only served local food and was supposed to be very good. So we went. 

It was an interesting drive. And it was clearly a wharf, with several boats attached and a place for unloading their wares. But the only possible place we saw for a restaurant was over the wharf - up two very tall flights of steps. We looked around for an elevator or sign, and nothing. I finally decided to go up and ask if there was another entrance, and I was very glad I did!

The elevator door looked like a storage closet and was kept locked so children couldn't open it and get crushed or fall into the moving cables...which makes perfect safety sense. Locals all knew to call ahead and they'd be watching/waiting to come unlock the elevator for any patron who needed it.

We shared a plate and decided to try something we'd never had before. So we ate a fish called wahi (and I'll mention that again in tomorrow's post). The "salsa" that came with it was actually pinapples, tomatoes, onions and herbs, though Bobby said his had something spicy in it. We laughed afterwards that his favorite thing was their mashed sweet potatoes, and mine was the steamed squash/zuchhini. I wasn't dressed up, and was feeling a tad underdressed (even though as Bobby pointed out our waiter was in denim shorts), but then two families came in who were in shorts and flip-flops. But our favorite part about the whole place was the background music...softly played hymns. It was awesome. Our waiter actually bussed our table, and mentioned to us that he was trying to help out the girl who did that job. She was a little overworked that night, was a good girl, and was saving money to go to a Bible college. We were impressed, mentioned to him how much we appreciated the music, and he grinned really big. The owners and all but one of the employees were members of the local Assembly of God church, and one of the fishermen they bought fish from was also a fellow church member. It was a neat experience, and was one of our surprises on our vacation.

Comments

Jennifer said…
i love how you two check out the "unknown" places. You remind me of one of those people on WRAL. Maybe you should get a job for them!

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut