Skip to main content

dolphin watch

While searching for things to do in Manteo before we left, I found a link to a website for cruises.
Bear in mind, I've always wanted to go on a deep-sea fishing cruise. Not a whole day one, but just half a day. But it's simply not realistic. Nevertheless, I clicked on the link to Captain John's to see what he offered and I saw this: 2 hr dolphin cruises. The prices was doable, so I called. I asked him if by chance his boat/dock was wheelchair acceptable. He not only told me yes, but told me his pontoon-styled boat had a cover over it so he could be out of the sun if he needed to (something only wheelchair-bound people realize the seriousness of!), AND there was a bathroom on board that was wheelchair accesible. I made reservations right away.

When we arrived in town, we discovered that not only were dolphin cruises common, but that many of them were a cheaper than what I had signed us up for. But after arriving at the dock, I realized this boat was the only one I saw that was wheelchair accesible. So I'd gladly pay that price again. The cruise came with a guarantee that we'd see a dolphin or get a voucher for a free cruise later in the summer. I expected to see one or two. Were we both surprised!

Captain John had a very dry sense of humor, which we both found quite funny (especially when he told the group if there were any siblings on board they were not allowed to look at each other). And we learned quite a bit (including that mahi is a type of dolphin - which we ate the night before!).

Headed out...the sound was only 3-5 ft deep!

They told us to watch for fins and water sprays. :)

I was surprised to learn there were different colors of dolphins, that dolphins didn't have to live in the ocean (the sound is half salt water and half fresh water), and that one of the two groups of dolphins we saw that day had never been to the ocean.

One of the "blue" dolphins. There were also dark gray ones.

Couldn't believe how close they swam to the houses, boats, and bridges!

And the best shot I got all day. I probably took 166 pictures, but the dolphins move so fast that I missed a lot of them. I ended up deleting 120 pictures that were nothing but water, waves, or splashes. We did learn that dolphins give live birth, the babies start out riding on the mom, and then they swim alongside her for 2-3 years before venturing on their own. Not sure if this is a mom with children or not, as they tended to swim in groups. A few were solo, but they were never far away from the group. The captain said a herd could have as many as 45 dolphins. We saw 2 different herds while out.

Comments

Jennifer said…
oh wow, Monica....that looks like so much fun!! We might have to try that sometime. Glad you got to go. Great pictures
Lydia said…
So fun!!! My girls love dolphins!

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut