Skip to main content

election crunches

It's here. Well, it will be here as of 9am tomorrow.
Election training.
Tomorrow is hurdle one.
Monday is hurdle two.
Tuesday is hurdle three.
Then I have 10 days to totally familiarize myself with the manuals.
On October 24, the insanity begins. 10am-8pm days (except for weekends which are slightly better) until November third when early voting ends.
November 4th I pick up supplies for the regular election.
November 5th I'm on call.
November 6th my phone starts chirping at 6am and I gladly turn the phone off and return it to the Board of Elections at 9pm.
Perhaps I'll have time in my ten days off to schedule several blogs to upload.
I'm sure I'll have tons of stories that I'll desperately want to tell you but can't, but know this:
Nothing aggravates me more than to hear someone criticize the Wake County Board of Elections. People who do show how little they actually know about what's involved and how much work takes place behind the scenes. They are fair; they work hard; they train us hard; they do a great job. I like to think we temporary employees do a decent job ourselves. This is my eighth year working with BOE, and I can honestly say the process only gets better. I don't know if I'll shoot for ten years or not. A part of me says this would be a great year to end on. The other part of me really likes the paycheck.
So whatever party you belong to, you have less than a month to research the candidates and make your voice heard. Voting is more than a right; it's a responsibility. And for us girls, it's one that many women were denied in our country for many years. Let's not insult the ones who went to jail just so our voices could be heard.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut