Skip to main content

quilting lecture

A few weekends ago (Aug 18) I joined a friend (Charlotte Shaw) in heading to Loving Stitches quilt shop in Fayetteville, NC.  I've been to this shop several times during the Carolina Quilt Stash Dash (you buy a passport and get coupons to all the quilt stores within half a day's driving distance, and for every store that stamps your passport during that week, your name is entered in a drawing. If your passport is full, you turn it in and get entered in a grandprize drawing. It's a fun way to pull money out of quilt fanatics.) but had never been during a normal day.

I've always been impressed with this shop. It's practical, it's patriotic, the owners are Christians and make no bones about it, the store has a neat layout (though not fully accessible) and their class schedule always looks interesting.

They offered a Saturday lecture on the use of quilts in the Underground Railroad, given by Hattie Schmidt, who is recognized by the Smithsonian as a quilt historian. It was interesting and entertaining, but she talked more about African quilts and artwork and slavery than she did the topic matter. And for me that was a little disappointing.


 Some of the quilt blocks she used during her 30 minute Underground Presentation (out of a 3hr lecture). One thing I learned: In the log cabin blocks (the first 2), the color of the center square indicated what time a slave was to leave on the journey north (indigo for night, yellow for daytime, orange for sunset). I don't know what the third one was, but the last one, called a bow tie, symbolized a place where slaves could go to get clothes, as if they were in their slave garbs they would easily be recognized.
 And while I'm familiar with these blocks, she didn't tell what they represent. (Diamond, bear claw, wagon wheel an dI don't know the name of the last one)

 She grew up in Wilmington, NC and this was a really cool quilt that she made. The stripes of fabric and the colors are all very common in quilts made by African-American women, but she used photographs from segregated Wilmington. In the right of this photo, the top building is the first colored hospital, and the brick building directly under it was its replacement, where she was born. One of her relatives is in the nurse's uniform beside it, and she worked there.
 An African piece of fabric. This is not woven, but the dark color is actually made by placing mud on top of the fabric and leaving it to dry out in the sun for several days. The chemicals from the mud basically dye the fabric. Some of the group who know about printing fabrics were most intrigued by this piece of material.
 

And the above quilt is one of hers. The pattern is an Irish Chain, which is usually done two colors. I've always loved this pattern, and it was totally fascinating to see how making it with patchwork totally changed the look of the quilt. Making it even livelier was her applique in the centers of the white pieces. She used African symbols to go along with her African prints, and it truly looked like a new pattern. I found it very creative.
 


It was a good day, and I was thankful to have a friend ride along with me, even if the lecture strayed quite a bit from its topic!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut