Skip to main content

break time

There have been SO many posts I've wanted to write this past week but simply haven't had the time. (I'm taking a 10 minute break).

This upcoming week is the last week for Camp NaNoWriMo.
A) I can't believe it. Where has this month gone?
B) I can't believe it. I think I'm actually going to make the 50,000 word deadline for the first time EVER!
C) I can't believe it. I may not be finished with the story when I hit 50,000 words. Who'd a thunk it?

I've really enjoyed/appreciated the ability to do this during the month of August. I've tried November twice, and never come close (7,000 words the first year and 2,500 the 2nd year), so when they opened up the challenge for the summer, I was pumped. August is not a crazy month for us, unlike the winter months, and I was very careful not to plan too much on my calendar.

I thought if I made it this far I would either be excited because I have a work in progress, or I would be devastated because I have a very sorry rough draft. I'm excited because I'm reaching the end, will make the mark, and at this point I honestly don't care (in a good way, not flippantly) whether or not I ever do anything else with the manuscript. I hope to work on it a little in September and October until I feel the storyline is not quite so rough, but after that I plan to stick it in an envelope, put it in a drawer, and leave it for quite some time. Maybe by that point I'll have a fresh and better perspective on the manuscript.

So when I finish the manuscript, or the end of this week, whichever comes first, I hope to share some of the following things:
a reminder of why I don't always like people
wildlife
heart stuff
dog stuff
quilt stuff
refreshing parenting observations
my September challenge

until then, Happy Writing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut