Skip to main content

heartaches and happiness

Heartache- seeing this much open space that used to be a hill full of trees and houses
Happiness - seeing this many cars turn out, more than I ever remember, for the Homecoming Parade. Yes, Cordova is STILL a community!




the Long House,  built in the late 1880s. Crews are working in hopes of restoring it, though after seeing the sides, Bobby wonders if it's even possible. Even more heartwreching (besides the fact a classmate of mine from high school used to live there), is that the view of this house should be obscured by the Methodist church, now demolished.

The "Pig" (Piggly Wiggly), which was a Son's Supermarket when I lived there, was where I had my first official job. FEMA says it's in a 100-year flood plain, meaning the town's only grocery store will receive no assistance if they decide to rebuild.

While happy my town finally erected a monument to honor its fallen, it made me VERY unhappy to see it still in pieces 5 months after the tornadoes. I wanted to find some tubs of crazy glue and put it back together, at least until it can be replaced. I recognize finding people places to live and restoring homes and businesses are top priority (and still an on-going process), but couldn't we at least pick up these pieces?)

The library...and now at this point the tears are rolling.

The drugstore where all the rich kids went for ice cream after the pep rallies
and where the old men went to drink coffee and read the paper in the morning.

The old devil ain't what he used to be...much smaller head and no costume on the bottom!
But...he has a much cooler pitchfork than he did two decades ago.

Rural areas...being a school superintendent is a BIG deal and worth riding in parades!  Of course, he is a Cordova native.

New from a previous decades, teachers walk in the parade! Here is the current CHS principal, Kathy Vincent, dressed as Minnie Mouse. Mrs. Vincent was my HS typing teacher, and a Christian who truly cared about her job and students.

Definitely new to CHS--girls' volleyball! Back in the day, cheerleading, softball and band were the only activities available for girls.


It was great to see that Cordova's Fire Department was well stocked with firetrucks after losing 4 of the 5 engines in the spring tornadoes. The "new" trucks might still bear the names of other towns, but they are present and functioning. The fire chief, on the left, is Dean Harbison, and a former band buddy. He's helping co-ordinate the recovery efforts.

What's left of the Hardware store where my Uncle Charlie worked.

A new and pleasant addition to the press box.

All but one of the classmates who showed up Sat night. We actually had a few others at the game Friday night. It was so good to catch up. So much has happened in everyone's life, both good and bad.  We also lost a classmate 10 years ago.

And classmates with spouses and friends. It was a wonderful night and fun weekend.

Comments

Lydia said…
We missed you but I'm SO glad you had a good time!!! Thanks for sharing pictures and memories of your small town past. Love it!
Jennifer said…
seems like you have been gone forever. glad you had such a good time.

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut