Skip to main content

the bad and not so bad...and graphic content warning

One of the things I don't care for in some artwork is politics. I know that "good" artwork is supposed to make you think and feel things, but quite honestly, if I see an offensive or repulsive piece, I simply bypass it. Several quilts exhibitions at the show were based on the themes of racism and homelessness. I only took a picture of one of the "nicer" ones I found offensive, and many of the racism-themed ones I simply didn't look at. On the return trip home I heard that there was one that offended so many people it actually made the Hampton news. A Latino quilter had printed symbols and words she has been called that she found offensive, and many people found the quilt offensive, thinking it was belittling Latinos. I don't remember seeing that one. Some of the others on racism aren't really offensive, just not my thing. And the quilt of a naked woman that had three snakes coming out of her breast, I didn't even read the card to see what that one was all about. Call me a prude, but I see enough ugliness in the world without trying to duplicate it.  So without further ado, from the political exhibitions, the good, the bad, and the ugly:
HOMELESSNESS:
Based on the stories of hobos from the Great Depression, this quilt used cut up clothes and symbols Hobos used to leave messages for other people who were in search of food, work, or places to stay.

One of the two pics I found  VERY offensive. Not sure what the "Home, More, Less" exactly means...More or less homeless? I got the box and the baby, but the purpose of showcasing the birthing canal and her lungs full of stuff left me puzzled, as did the little gumby-like things on her hands. Many people stared at this one for a while, shook their head, and walked off.

 While the colors on this one are not Mincy-esque, the square and rectangular patterns reminded me very much of a Mincy design. This was one of the artsier quilts in the homeless section, though had it not been in the same grouping I'd have never guessed that's what it was representing.

RACISM:

 One of the new trends in quilting is printable fabric. You can purchase special sheets to print pictures or designs on ,and then you can add them to your quilt. I thought this one was tastefully done.
 Pictures of this scene always bother me. The hatred in the white woman's face in the background while the girl quietly walks to school is unnerving.
 I had never seen this photo before, but it speaks on so many levels. So many times today people hold up very stupid or antagonist sayings, trying to stir up trouble. But the single file line of men holding a simple sign with a profound truth, having guns pointed their direction speaks volumes.
I am a southerner from Alabama, but I was a senior in high school before I knew about the civil rights struggle and its horrors. I found out through a poem in my AP English class written about a Mom whose daughter was killed in the Birmingham church bombing. I was out of college before I began to understand the depths of it and saw the pictures, a moment I will never forget. Segregation is foreign to me. The first time I saw the movie "Forrest Gump" with my parents, I remember my Dad almost falling out of his chair when I commented "Yeah, right. Like that happened." when they showed Gov. Wallace (with Forrest there, of course) calling in the National Guard to assist at the University of Alabama officials on the day it was integrated.  My comment  Turns out not only did it happen, but my newlywed father demanded Mom stay home from her university classes that day as he was afraid there would be violence and bloodshed. Sometimes it's not what we teach in history classes that make such a profound impact on the future as it is the lessons we DON'T teach.  I'm proud to be from Alabama. It's made me who I am.  But I'm not proud of it's history. It reminds me of the Bible verse from Psalm, "The heart is deceitfully wicked above all things. Who can know it?"

I didn't take pictures of the quilt, designed much the same way, of the KKK in Indiana.  Some things I just don't stomach very well.

Thankfully one one small row was designated to politically themed quilts at the show. Sadly, I can't tell you anything about the quilting skills or techniques used (except the photo fabric from above). I guess you could say the message overpowered the medium.  Maybe that's okay. Perhaps the message was made, and people will remember it, so the quilts did their job. I can't imagine hanging these on my wall, nor placing them on my bed. That's a lot of work just to make a point. But I guess that's the whole purpose. Some points simply need to be made.

Comments

Lydia said…
Who knew quilters had such passion? I know some subjects are hard to stomach but perhaps for that Latino woman, quilting her hurts was cathartic for her. And for the racial and homeless themes- at least some people feel strongly about those issues. So much of the world just doesn't care. The naked woman is gross though. I really didn't need to see her privates to care about the fact that she is living in a box.

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut