Skip to main content

quilts I just liked

 Okay, I recognize this is not a quilt. I was so surprised to find a doll exhibit! There were also clothes on display, which I didn't stop to look at. But the dolls...they were interesting!
 I've always wondered why anyone would buy a Christmas quilt to only use for one month.  But this is a Christmas quilt that you could leave out for many months and people might not think anything about it because it has so much pink in it.  I don't think I've ever seen that before.  And this is a "Block of the Month" quilt (where you agree to have your credit card charged every month and they send you all the stuff needed for one block every month until you've finished the quilt). This was one wasn't part of the exhibits but was actually on the back of a vendor's display (hoping you'd sign up!).
 This probably should have gone under geometric designs or landscape/portrait designs. I like both the piecing and the quilting in this.  Just shapes, really. AND...
 machine appliqued...no edges turned under!  Just simple small pieces. I'm wondering if they used that adhesive spray Mary talks about all the time to hold the pieces together until it was sewed. Otherwise this would have been a nightmare to pin in place.
 And another block quilt, just sewn in a different direction.
 One of the guilds from Florida had a WHOLE wall of this pattern. They chose a pattern as a group, and then each lady made her own wall-hanging. It truly showcases how different fabrics or directions can totally change the look and feel of a pattern.
Sassy!

Country Elegance

Young and hip!

 An old applique pattern, enhanced with lace and a button for the head! Definitely a different twist! Would be a tad uncomfortable on a bed, though.
 And this just makes me laugh!  Yes, we all played with paper dolls as a child, and this captures that memory quite well, but WHERE is this person going to hang this MONSTER sized quilt when the exhibit is over?
 Cute, traditional patterns in very girly colors...but it gets better.
 The quilted the appliqued pattern into the border! I love those little details and repetition!
 And the side border...cupcakes and cherries growing out of flower stalks...of course that goes with tea!
 And I really like how they stuffed the icing in the cupcake to make it fluffy and 3D-ish.
and how can a gal stir her tea without spoons?  And fancy it up with bows, of course! But what I find absolutely stunning is the quilting...notice the flowers and lattice work between the coffee cups and lace border. AND the "quilted lace" before the spoons. It looks like true lace on a doily, but it's just quilting! Someone spent a LOT of time on this quilt!

And in case you're getting tired of quilts, I only have one more day to go, and it's only a few pictures. And for those of you wanting to know what I bought, you'll just have to wait until you see the final products. :) But suffice it to say my brain has been in overdrive this past week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut