Skip to main content

survival skills

One of the third things that really struck me by the diary entries of southern women during the Civil War was the disparity between places and lifestyles. By 1863, most of the South was woefully suffering. A young lady from Georgia, teaching on a southern plantation in Eufaula, Alabama recorded the measures they took to live.

Berries from the dogwood tree were used to make quinine (a pain medicine) since the usual plants it was made from was unavailable. Blackberry roots were pulled up and stewed into a cordial for dysentery, though if people were fortunate enough to have a persimmon tree, very ripe persimmons were preferred. Since "bicarbonate of soda" used in the raising of bread was no longer available because of the blockades, women discovered the ashes from burned corncobs would work just as well.  (I don't even want to know how they found that out or if it changed the flavor of the bread any.) They learned to make their own yarn, knit, and take an indigo bush to make a dye to color the knitted garments either green or blue. Pine straw and palmetto leaves were braided into hats, baskets, fans, and mats. Okra seeds were roasted and ground to make a coffee substitute (as were other things, but okra seemed to resemble the real thing the best; browned yam potatoes were the second best recommendation for coffee grounds.)
Candles and the wax to create them were a very big issue. At one home Miss Hague visited, the neighbor had gathered the little prickly balls from the sweet gum tree, soaked them in melted lard, then placed them in bowls of oil. She was fascinated by the "fairylike lights". And shoes?  Those were knit, resewn, resoled with whatever was available until they were totally unwearable.

And from a very young girl in Richmond, where parties and balls continued...
"Wish I had been taught to cook instead of how to play on the piano. A practical knowledge of the preparation of food products would stand me in better stead at this juncture than any amount of information regarding the scientific principles of music. I adore music, but I can't live without eating -and I'm hungry! I want some chicken salad, and some charlotte russe, and some oxpalate, and corn muffins! These are the things I want, but I'll eat anything I can get! Honestly, our cuisine has become a burning question..."
This made me laugh a little, but it's true. I think even in this day and age we sometimes confuse what a true education is with what is fashionable at the moment.  Even though I've now "lived" through three wars, I have never had to sacrifice or suffer because of them (though I do believe part of our economic troubles now are from not sacrificing to pay for the Afghanistan and 2nd Iraqi War these last few years).

The saddest entries to me were the women living in Richmond who could see the parties and fests taking place, but were going without supper and receiving letters from their boys in the fields who were literally starving. One of the hospital nurses recounted receiving prisoners from an exchange who were dying from starvation. They expected the south to provide for their prisoner's meals. She said if they ever curled into a fetal position, even with being fed broth, then they wouldn't survive more than two days. One of the prisoners said curling up helped ease the hunger pains.

We have a lot to be thankful for.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut