Skip to main content

perspective

Whether my life today is good or bad is really my choice. I can focus on the negative, or I can focus on the positive. The circumstances of today may be less than ideal, but my attitude will always determine whether or not people enjoy being in my presence and how I feel about the day.

I was reminded of that while reading Mary Custis Lee's diary entry for the close of the Civil War. For those of you who like me (until recently) are unaware of many historical details, Mary Custis Lee, the wife of Robert E. Lee, was the great-granddaughter of George Washington. The plantation where she and her husband lived, property formerly owned by the Washingtons, was taken from them during the Civil War, and as a punishment, was turned into a Union graveyard. That site is now Arlington National Cemetery. I have always heard about the supposed "great faith" of Robert E.Lee, and I was impressed with his wife's last war diary entry.
"...Tho' it has not pleased Almighty God to crown our exertions with success in the way and manner we expected, yet we must still trust and pray not that our will but His may be done in heaven and earth..."
 Wow.  She recognizes her home is gone, her husband may spend his life as a prisoner because of his role in the war, her son has not yet come home or been heard from, the hardships she has endured for the last four years have been for nothing. And yet she recognizes that our prayer should be for God to orchestrate things the way HE would have them to be, and not the way we want them to be. That's so very timely for me.

I struggle sometimes, with things I don't care to post on the world-wide blog, but things that are very real to me. When the outcomes are not what I want or have planned, may my attitude equal Mrs. Lee's attitude. May I desire to be submissive to God's plan and will, even when it's not what I want or worked towards. May my words 150 years from now inspire and challenge others to live a God-centered life, regardless of their circumstances. May my heartfelt prayer be for God's will to take place, and not my own. Amen, and amen.

Comments

Good stuff. Thanks, Monica.

Signed,
A Yankee in RTP-land

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut