Skip to main content

a modern convenience that's not convenient

After 11.333 years of observing life from a different vantage point, I've learned that most modern conveniences are really not that convenient.  Take parking decks for example.
They're great things for cities or hospitals or other places that see a large traffic volume but have limited land spaces for parking.  But evidently they're expensive to build, and companies hope to recoup some of the costs through parking fees.  There's nothing wrong with that. It makes good business sense.  But the modern method of using machinery to speed things up creates a problem for disabled drivers.

You drive up, roll down your window, and either pull a tab of paper or else press a button to get a tab.  Seems simple enough. But it's not if your fingers don't work. Every time we go somewhere that has one of these things, it requires me getting out of the passenger side, crossing over in front of the van (and making sure your spouse is not mad at you before you do :)), grabbing the ticket while the person in the exit booth is staring at you trying to figure out what on earth is happening, crawling back in the car, and trying not to notice the line that has formed behind you while this few second ordeal takes place. Exiting is somewhat easier as you don't have to grab things, though trying to handle paper and money while maintaining balance in the seat or wheelchair is still a chore.

And the reality is, as long as there is a passenger riding with a disabled driver, it is not a big deal. Yet this is one of those silly things that stress me out. How stupid is that?  It's not that hard to do; I understand the reasoning behind the process, and yet it always seems to frustrate me. Perhaps I worry too much about what the ticket person is thinking about us, or the agitated people behind us.  They could easily employ a person to hand the tickets out upon entry and lift the gate as they do at exit. Yes, it would take more time and slow things down and require hiring another person, but it would make the process a little more humane and disability friendly, not to mention assisting a little with the unemployment rate.

Not that anyone ever asks me for my opinion. :)

Comments

Jennifer said…
I honestly never thought about it and I am glad you posted it in case I get impatient with someone!! Maybe you should write specific places and let them know so that more people are informed....but thats just my opinion!!

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut