Skip to main content

Day #7

No, today is not the day of rest.  Today is the day for kicking things into high gear. Today begins the countdown for The Great Trip. Today I'm adding all kinds of interesting things to my "to do" list in anticipation of this trip that we're taking. I hope.
One of the things that I LOVE to tease my husband about is his allergies to my home state. It seldom fails. We head to the promised land of my past, and his van breaks down, one of us gets sick, something happens here that makes us wonder whether or not we should have stayed home, and so on.  But I think this trip is going to win the award for the most obstacles thrown in its path.
Obstacle number one: vehicular.  I think most of you know we placed an order for a new van several months ago. It was to be ready the end of October, at the absolute latest. We are now a few weeks past that date, and no potential arrival time in sight.  We do know that the "fix" is in the works by the manufacturer, that the windshield wipers and two other things are not working properly until this fix happens, but have no word as to when the "fix" is anticipated.  So we are now contemplating options.  Do we travel in a well-worn van that has about 200,000 miles on it and likes to flash notices such as "SERVICE ENGINE" in glaring red letters that the mechanics can't figure out WHY the light is on (but the van is liable to stop and refuse to start)?  Do I unplug the chair and throw my husband in the front of my car and drive, hence punishing myself to pushing a manual chair up my parents' steep driveway (to get upstairs where the kitchen and everyone else is), and later face the wrath of my better half? Or do we pray the van is ready on Friday and Bobby miraculously adjusts to all the new gears and such within two days and instantly feels at ease (which has NEVER happened) so that we hit the interstate at our regular ungodly travel time on Monday?
Obstacle number 2: health concerns.  Long distance travel is never body friendly. It does strange things to muscles and organs. It prompts infections of various sorts, or at least seems too.  So this year, instead of having just ONE health ailment to consider, we are facing TWO.  Huh?  Yeah, I know.  A bit of overkill.  But either way, that's what it is.  So I'm calling one doctor this morning and will visit another in hopes of answers and potential solutions.  I mean, there is the possibility that all this can be cured BEFORE travel time, right?  Hey, a girl can dream!
Obstacle number 3: scheduling.  This time of year is always notorious for scheduling conflicts.  It almost rivals summertime. We normally go to bed (or at least the driver does) very early the night before leaving. Otherwise leaving at aforementioned ungodly hour has the potential to be disastrous. Somehow we've allowed our schedule to be a little tight the evening prior to departure. And I'm having serious debates with myself about "just saying no" and putting my foot down. In the meantime, my goal is to do as much as I can beforehand (though not knowing which vehicle we're taking throws a kink in knowing how to pack).

None of these obstacles are overly daunting or difficult.  But I long for the day when I can simply pull out my checklist, throw things in the suitcase, and we ride off into the ribbonned road and sunny skies. Maybe that will happen next spring when we vacation there. :)

Comments

Jennifer said…
it is stressful to travel, praying that everything works out for you

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut