Skip to main content

101 years plus 9 months

This afternoon Bobby and I attended a liturgical funeral for a lady who was 3 months shy of 102.  Yep, you read that right.  She was 101 years, 9 months and 19 days young when she died.  And up until the ripe old age of 98, she walked 1/2 a mile to her church every Sunday morning and swam one mile every day.  Two of her granddaughters wrote poems for the program, and one of them read "How do you live to be 101?...You eat your veggies every day..." That made me laugh.

Liturgical services. Up until I married my husband, I had never been to one. I guess you could say he's broadened my horizons.  One thing I do like about them is garments that the preachers (for the Lutherans) and priests (for the Catholics) wear. Many of their rituals and movements, along with their garb, remind me of the readings from Leviticus and Deuteronomy about what the Levitical priests were supposed to wear and do. Sometimes I think we lose some of the formality and reverence we owe God because we Baptists have such informal services and dress.

And I was very tempted to take communion today (it was open to anyone who has been baptized) because I wanted to see what their communion wafers tasted like.  And they didn't drink from the cup, but dipped their wafer into the cup and then popped it in their mouth. But seeing as curiosity isn't a valid reason for "partaking" of the Lord's supper (and my dear understanding hubby was certain it wasn't Welch's in the cup), I refrained.

Normally I LOVE organ music, especially in a big church. Not quite so much today.  Perhaps it was the lack of a song director motioning when to sing, perhaps it was the slow droning pace (HOW can you sing such powerful songs as "A Might Fortress is Our God" and "The Church's One Foundation" at such a slow tempo?), but it was starting to get a little old.  Maybe I've had too much Contemporary Christian music in my diet, maybe it was Dave's harping on the choir ladies that when you focus too much on the notes it stops being a song and becomes a chant, but either way I was ready for the music to become more of a celebration for the hope we have in our Savior.

Stained glass windows- love, love, LOVE them!!!  I'm of the warped mind that says the tabernacle furniture was overlaid in gold, the tent itself was embroidered with all kinds of beautiful designs, so the building in which we worship should be decked out as well!  Today's windows were pretty, albeit different.  Modern art (as in abstract) would be the closest description I could give them. The stained glass window over the front of the church did make you think somewhat of the cross, or a crucifix, but it was only a resemblance and not a depiction. 

And responsive readings...that is one of the things I miss from my old, country, childhood church.  Although our hymnal had the readings interspersed in the hymnal, numbered correctly.  So when the bulletin said to turn to page 273, that was where you turned.  Today, I turned to page 273 and found "O Little Town of Bethlehem" and was quite surprised.  Turns out the front of the hymnal was the responsive reading pages and it has its OWN section of numbering.  Not quite sure how they expected me to figure that one out without instruction.

And as always (and has happened quite a bit lately), people come to me to ask what someone else needs. I appreciate the concern and willingness to help. That certainly is commendable.  But honestly, when a person is there who may need help, ASK THE PERSON!!!  And when I tell you "No" to your question, that's exactly what I mean!  There's really no need to ask me two more times, and then a third time in a different way.  They must have either taken persistence lessons from my mother or manners lessons from the Chinese.

So tomorrow I will gladly join my "family" at our own place of worship. Same Savior, different format.  And for me, it's what is both familiar and comforting.  There's something to be said for that.

Comments

Lydia said…
LOL!!! The wafers are nasty. I'm assuming it's the round paper ones. Well, not paper but they LOOK like it. And no Welch's huh? hysterical!! I like to VISIT formal churches every now and then, but I wouldn't want to serve there. I also like to visit contemporary churches every now and then, but again, I wouldn't want to serve there. CBC is a good mix.

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut