Skip to main content

It's what's inside that counts!

Wednesday nights are a little chaotic at our house.  By the time hubby gets home we're at a slow rush (you know, not the full-fledged "I'm late but I can't find my car keys or shoes" kind of rush, but the "we gotta keep moving" rush). This past Wednesday night I boiled a few extra eggs while preparing the potato salad for supper.  When we got home from church, there were three eggs on the kitchen counter.  Keep in mind, we had gathered eggs while feeding the animals before leaving for church, and the egg total for Wednesday was: three eggs.  So silly me thinks "Oh NO! I forgot to put the eggs in the 'fridge!" and opens all the cartons in the fridge looking for empty slots.

Fast forward to Thursday morning and the normal "get me out the door on time" morning routine, and my boiled eggs for breakfast are nowhere to be found.  I think you all know where I'm going with this. To make matters worse, I know one egg on the counter was a big dark brown, one a green, and one a light brown, so there's no eliminating any from the cartons.

After googling "how to distinguish boiled eggs from raw eggs", I now get to spin my eggs (all 40 of them) or dip them in boiling water just so I can find three boiled eggs.  Or I could just boil 18 of them and make deviled eggs.  Does anybody know what happens when you double boil an egg?  Will its insides burn or overcook?  How would react if you started to crack an egg to scramble and found out it was boiled?  Would you ever take eggs from me again?

And to think I so foolishly thought my life was starting to get organized!

Comments

Lydia said…
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is so me:) I once forgot about some eggs I was boiling and they turned out fine- just a little grey instead of yellow- you know how they turn grey when you overcook them....anyway they tasted fine.

And sorry if I spelled "grey" wrong- I went to a Brit school and now I can never remember which way Americans spell it and which way the english spell it. Annoying.
Monica said…
You know kids who use the ABeka curriculum have the same spelling problems. About 90% of their English grammar text is from the KJV Bible, which is old British English. (or at least is used to be that way). If I ever see a teenager spell "colour" or "honour" I can almost always guarantee their school used only ABeka without any additional spelling books.

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut