Skip to main content

a conspiracy theory

Every year the American Library Association celebrates banned book week. I had never heard of a book being banned until I was in college, and was quite surprised to hear that some of the books people attempted to ban were books I had already read (Huck Finn, To Kill a Mockingbird, etc).

I only remember my mother "banning" a book twice.  Once, my younger siblings checked out a picture book from our local library that were full of illustrations containing unclothed children.  Almost every page had at least one child without any pants on.  I don't think there were any frontal drawings, but my three and  four year old siblings were having monstrous giggle fits over the book.  My Mom was outraged, and we returned the book the next day while she had expressed her views of how it was inappropriate to the librarian, and the librarian huffily explained that not everyone saw things Mom's way and they couldn't remove it from the shelves.  Thereafter we had to present all books to Mom for a scan before it could be checked out.

The second ban came about in middle school.  Sweet Valley High was all the rage, and when Mom realized I was reading one every other day (my classmate had the ENTIRE series and I was in an ACE school where I had way too much free time on my hands), she read two of them.  We had a little talk about why they were inappropriate (the main characters displayed ungodly characteristics: bad-mouthing parents, slandering friends, jealousy, revenge, etc), and then I was told I needed to replace them with something else.  So I read them at school for a little while, out of parental prying eyes, all the while hearing Mom's voice in my head saying "The Bible says..." every time a character did something that was not edifying or representative of the fruit of the Spirit.

In high school during AP class, we would tell our English teacher if there was an assigned novel we were uncomfortable reading (Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath...made it through 2 pages), and he willingly allowed us to read a different book from the list.  So here's my conspiracy theory: all these "banned" books were banned by the publishers to boost book sales.

I mean, if I don't like a book, I'm not going to read it.  If a student doesn't like a book, they're going to go out and buy the cliff notes and not read the book.  In most cases, if a parent or a child truly has an issue with a book, most teachers would more than graciously allow the student to read 2 or 3 more permissible books in it's place.  Many parents would simply read the book with the child and teach them through the process how to Biblically analyze, dissect, and debate what is wrong with its content.  Everyone knows the way to make a teenager want to do something (or anyone for that matter) is to make it forbidden.

I never dreamed I would be one to submit to a conspiracy theory, but there you have it. It's all a scam.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut