Skip to main content

seasons

This past weekend was a time of reflecting on past seasons in our life. 

Friday night was the WCA Homecoming Football Game, and prior to the game many graduates "tailgated" in the elementary school lunchroom for a brief time of reminiscing. Personally, I would have skipped some of the game to listen to more of the banter and for us spouses to hear more stories of days gone by.  I had to refrain from cheering as I was starting to feel sorry for the other team they were losing so bad that a few times I almost cheered for them!

Saturday night we met at the church where I met Bobby.  Various singing groups from the church's history had returned and after a hot dog supper and much fellowshippin', we listened to about an hour of music.  It was great.

Sunday morning we heard two sermons, one from a previous pastor (never sat under his ministry but I knew his daughter who is almost my age), and a pastor's brother (a former missionary who I had heard before).  After lunch they recognized all the staff, current and former, and had a brief slideshow of historical pictures.  I got to hear my older sister's family sing a few times (my brother-in-law was the associate at the time I met Bobby...an important connection!) and briefly chat with them as well.

I'm continuously amazed as I look back at the various seasons of my life. I can't say I've enjoyed every single one, but I can honestly say that each one has had a purpose.  I've also been extremely grateful for the spouse God gave me, and for his steadfastness during the many seasons we've walked through during the last 12 years of our lives.  I finished this weekend with a few wounds healed, a renewed thankfulness for the mercy and grace of our God, and a sense of calmness that I haven't had in a long time.

And now I get to do my weekend work of cleaning the house. :)  There is nothing new under the sun, indeed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut