Skip to main content

:) and yet another project

In the midst of changing out rooms and realizing just how many projects I have lined up to work on "one day", I told Bobby that I seriously needed to keep slaving away until I finished some things so I could start something else. And then the package arrived.

There's this company called Keepsake Quilting that sends out a quarterly catalog. I call it my drool book. I love it when the small booklet arrives in the mailbox, and am thrilled even more if I have 30 minutes to drop everything (or ignore everything) and browse through it. Twice a year, they have a "challenge" where you can order a small package of material, make a small quilt from it, and mail it back to enter a contest. You know the theme of the material and the contest, but not what the material is. This quarter's theme was landscaping. I've ordered some landscaping material in the past, and figured that even if I didn't enter the contest, I would have some material that I liked. I placed the order, and got a notice that the package was on BACKORDER. Not sure how they expect you to enter a contest if they don't have the material on hand to send you, but the material finally came while we were moving furniture. Not the best week, so I didn't even open the package. The following week I couldn't resist temptation and pulled it out "just to look".
Here's samples of what I found (or as close to it as I could find on their website):



This panel is actually a beige wood, almost like a pine, but with crackly wood lines.


This is the pattern, but the print is a deep green.


Once I saw the material, how could I not at least ATTEMPT the challenge? Only a week and a half until the deadline? No biggie, I mean, it's only a 30" square. I've never done a "nice" quilt before. Hey! We all gotta start somewhere, right? Housework? The washing machine operates quite nicely and loads can be thrown in and out between breaks. And since the rules say we can add up to 2 fabrics, and I need a solid, PLUS I got the perfect fabric for Christmas that could spare a square or two, I figure it's worth a try. Bobby wasn't so sure about my idea, but once he saw my square he liked it, so I feel as if I've accomplished something. I've still got some trimming to do, but here's my unquilted entry square:

I'm not so sure about this makeshift chicken pen. My original plan had been to cut the chickens out and applique them all over the grass and the rooster on the wall, but if you notice the yellow blob on the first photo, things this small don't exactly applique very well. Maybe once I quilt in the stones and add some small circles between the birds for dirt it might look a little more realistic. I know my sewing and quilting skills aren't developed enough to win a prize, but I'm just excited that I'm this close to making the deadline and am somewhat happy with the result!

All this to say that the pictures of the finished bedrooms will have to wait until next week. I'm sure you understand. :)

Comments

Lydia said…
Oh Monica. When I saw the top that you put together from those little squares of fabric, I just realized that you are SO MUCH MORE TALENTED than you let on. That is AWESOME! I love it and I bet you win:)

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut