Skip to main content

expectations

Today on the radio I heard the beginning of this program highlighting a book with a title like "When Sinners Marry". It caught my attention, so I actually listened. (I usually flip stations as soon as the talk starts.)
The man was talking about a situation when he took his wife out on a date to a very nice restaurant. During the course of the meal, he made an "observation", which she didn't take very well. He said had he been wise, he could have diverted the conversation or immediately tried to make amends, but instead he escalated the situation. He said his wife was very upset and disappointed. One of the "hosts" on the show grabbed his cell phone and actually called his wife. She started laughing, said she remembered the incident though she didn't remember what it was about, just that it happened. They started talking about forgiveness, and either my brain started chasing rabbits or I switched stations, not sure which.
But either way, it reminded me of two different friends in two different states who posted on Facebook recently about being excited about a date but then ended up arguing that night instead. I could be wrong, but I imagine almost every married couple has had at least once occasion that they were highly anticipating, only to be either disappointed or let down. Whether it's because our focus is on ourselves or we've simply built up unrealistic expectations about the event, the reality is, it happens.
And that makes me think about other areas of my life as well. Whether it has been visiting a college, a restaurant, a church, a new recipe, or a vacation site, the times I have been disappointed or let down, it's been because I had this preconceived (and often totally unrealistic) idea of what the place or item was like. When faced with these situations, it's a real stretch for me to apply that verse of Paul's that says we're to be content with whatever condition we find ourselves in. I much prefer to fix or change things instead of changing my attitude. I mean, hey...I put a lot of sweat and time into those stupid tomato seedlings. Be thankful I have the money to buy plants after all at that hard work? Are you kidding me? I want instead to buy a simply spray that will make them miraculously stand up straight and grow and produce like they're supposed to. Is that too much to ask?
My great expectations are only great when they're realistic, which for this dreamer isn't very often.

Comments

Jennifer said…
I agree. I heard the same broadcast yesterday and was laughing!! I had my "expectations up on making Carmela's chicken only to be so disappointed!

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut