Skip to main content

where I come from

I'm not actually from Townley (where the above picture was taken). My hometown of Cordova, AL is actually several steps above Townley sporting two banks, a small grocery store, two drugstores, a post office, a video store, and several gas stations (Townley only has a part-time post office, and is where my father currently pastors). But like Townley, Cordova suffers from the past. In the early '60s, like many other places across America, the cotton mills closed their gates and went overseas. Unable to find work, many moved away. Others joined the coal mines. In the late '80s the coal mines began drastically cutting back (and it always seemed they did it at Christmas time). I'm not going to rehash the age old debate of whether the mines were only seeking profit or if the miners and the union's constant strikes and demands brought it about, but the reality is - it happened. Again, people moved away in search of means to support their families.




The above picture is of Main St in Cordova taken in 1993, where most of the stores are located. Every Thursday evening the road is shut down, for the most important reason:
the Cordova Blue Devils football team
The band plays and marches down main street, then the players salter down the street, followed by a 10-20 minute pep rally. If you've ever seen the movie Friday Night Lights, then you get an idea of what my hometown is like.
According to the 2000 census, Cordova has a population of 2, 423 people. And for these 2,423 people, there are ten churches within the city limits, and almost as many immediately outside the city limits. Most everyone considers themselves a "Christian" because they like to think of themselves as good, but not because they know Christ, follow his teachings, or attend church.
WHY am I telling you all this? Because my small town upbringing solidifies a lot of who I am today. I work in a job where things are supposed to be perfect, the smallest mistake must immediately be corrected, and cost, while important, is not to be the final factor. It is a major factor, but almost never the ultimate one. Appearance is everything. And that is such a far cry from who I am and how I was raised. (and yes, I was raised, not reared...) I cringe inside at all the waste, ponder the frivolous lifestyle of people who have no concept of limited resources, and often miss the simplicity of how things "were back when".
And while people do throw out their trash in AL just like people do here (thankfully Bryan Rd has FINALLY been cleaned up once again), at least people have a sense of humor about it back home, as is displayed by the above photo.

Comments

Lydia said…
I enjoy learning more about your "history" from your blog, Monica! ...and I put December 6th on my calendar for a girl trip to Concord!
Jennifer said…
I'm like Lydia.....I love to hear about your life. You really should write a book.

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut