Skip to main content

my new job

I acquired a new job this summer, one I wasn't anticipating - that of a censor. We go to the dentist for one of T's many visits, and the boys start giggling, looking around, and holding a magazine very close. It's an underwear ad. I tell them to stop being silly and turn the page. They obey, but every boy after that wants that magazine. We go to the Hair Salon, and they get all excited when they see a cover, and I discover that there is a Maxim magazine in the waiting area. I start sorting through the many piles, pulling out all the Maxims and Cosmopolitans I can find. What are the owners thinking?
But then tonight we go to Cary Towne Center. Walking out of Macy's, we have to walk by not one, not two, but THREE huge photos (all the same picture) in the make-up aisle to get out. The lady's top is almost off with nothing else on. Thankfully Tonya spotted a picture half-way through of a woman pursing her lips at the lipstick rack and started making fun of it, so that distracted the boys some.
Maybe I'm a prude; maybe it's my Christian worldview, but even if the boys don't follow the teachings of Christ, I cannot find one rational reason for allowing them to absorb material that enforces the world's concept that women are nothing more than sex objects.
I've also had to censor music this year - a first. I have an eclectic taste of music, and apply the Phillipians 4:8 principle to what I hear. One of our boys is enthralled with rap, and was totally shocked to discover we don't approve. Tonight we stopped to get gas, and the girl next to us had her car blasting rap music, and it was repetitively blasting the B word. Has she no sense of self-esteem? Does it not bother her that her radio is repetitively belittling her gender to the status of a female dog in heat - in essence, a sex object?
I believe God created sex, like the rest of creation, to be a beautiful thing. Yet when we distort and abuse such a thing, it ceases to be pretty. It then becomes broken, which is revolting, painful and deprecating.
And sadly, we have once again this summer had to censor video games. Even though I carefully selected games before the kids came, another host family gave the boys a game. Five minutes into the game I had heard more than 4 curse words, and had had enough. We compromised by turning off the volume.
I hate being a censor, but I'm even more appalled at how often I've been called upon to work in that capacity this summer. It makes me sad for our country, for the young people-both boys and girls, and for others across the world who embrace our lascivious ways without realizing the "cool American stuff" is actually a poison that will corrupt their minds, relationships, and passions. My heart goes out to the young boys who are constantly exposed to such trash, and for the young girls who mistakenly think such actions are a show of freedom. I wonder where are their parents, and who zapped their brains?
"the renewing of our minds"...we need it today more than ever before.

Comments

Lydia said…
Good post. Anyone who is a caretaker of children (teacher, parent, babysitter, etc) SHOULD be a censor. There is so much stuff out there that it is a neverending job. I've even been saddened by all the slang and potty humor in G-rated movies these days. I want my kids to be able to enjoy movies but...
sara said…
It is hard isn't it?!?!? We just have to be different- don't go to the beach or mall much :( But then you can't get away from the dentist office or grocery store.

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut