Skip to main content

the countdown

It has started. My next 9 days ("tomorrows" as the kids call them) are measured in small segments of time that have more than enough things to totally fill them. And of course, in the midst of it all, there are the time-out moments when everything must stop for certain things to be handled. You know, the bruises or cuts from crashing your bike into the shed on purpose, etc. And then there's the times we you have to carry out the threat you made, even though you don't want to but you know it's necessary.
One of our 3 visitors has had a consistent problem with "talking" as the kids call it (calling others bad names). There have been times in years past when the translators would refuse to tell me what was said, saying it was very bad and too bad to translate. Since I don't speak Russian, in normal circumstances I don't know whether it's a real argument, or simply kids being kids. But the subject came up in the mountains, and I finally gave the ultimatum: this happens again, and your mouth gets washed out with soap.
It happened. I even called the translator to double check the seriousness of the crime, and it was bad. So I gave a choice: 1) mouth washed out with soap or 2) no more video games. There was crying and indecision, then the child finally chose number one. I wanted to cry. But we did it, the child survived, and then even had the audacity to tell me thirty minutes later that the soap was good. For the second night in a row, I chose a Bible bedtime story and followed up with a reading. (Two nights ago we read the good Samaritan and discussed the difference between a practical joke and meanness; last night was the lost sheep and James 3, which we had a hard time finding...their New Testament books come in a different order than ours!).
I'm hoping the rest of our time ticks like clockwork without any more crazy interruptions. My heart breaks that we have this language barrier that interrupts communication and understanding. Meanwhile, I cling to the unchanging Seed and am claiming the verse that God's word will not return void, all the while pleading, "Let it be."

Comments

Lydia said…
The time has flown by and we haven't seen your kids nearly enough! We pray for the day when communication will not be an issue and your kids can fully understand the gospel!

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut