Skip to main content

March!

This Friday I have my dry run for the Board of Elections Staff, so I'm having to kick my prep into a higher gear this week. I've quit counting how many years I've taught Help Table, but it's enough that a part of me doesn't want to open my binder. I can only imagine how the training team must feel! Thankfully I have two classes to assist before I actually teach a class, so that will give me a little more time to fine-tune and get ready.  We're pushing for time again this cycle, so I have to remind myself to not elaborate but hit the points and keep moving.  I've yet to fit everything into the time slot while I'm practicing.

The situation with Ukraine is just as dire today as it was the day of the invasion. My heart is so heavy for everyone involved - the Ukranians who woke up and found themselves at war; the many Russian soldiers who don't want to be there; those trying to get to safety; those in Ukraine picking up weapons for the first time; the Russians who are opposed to war but are finding themselves in a quickly deteriorating situation at home due to sanctions; and my Belarus munchkins from years ago that we've lost contact with. We often think them and wonder where they are and what they are doing now, but to hear that this already poverty laced country is being hit with sanctions because they are associated with Russia, their bread and butter, hurts my heart. When I heard Belarus was considering adding their troops to the fight, I thought of one of the young men who came with the ABRO group is now in the Belarussian Army, not by choice, but by how he did on a test many years ago.  I know Oleg and Mikalai are fighting age, and I think of how sensitive they were then and how Mikalai was already struggling with an alcohol desire at age 14, and it hurts my heart to think of them possible being forced into battle.

To be honest, I never thought Ukraine would be able to hold out this long, and I think it is both awesome and miraculous that they are continuously doing what they can with what they have for their freedom.  I've read reports from fellow Ukranian believers who are telling of nonbelieving spouses writing home, asking the church to keep praying as they are seeing miracles happen that they can't explain. My prayer continues to be that God would protect as many as possible on every side, but that He would draw so many to Him during this time of crisis.  

On a much less important note, I would have thought with our mask mandates ending and things opening back up that things would being getting back to normal.  But no.  Juice, distilled water, frozen vegetables and french fries and tator tots are all still missing from the grocery store; we still have a 2 pack meat limit on some items; and today the grocery store was totally out of plastic bags...paper bags only. I don't think I've seen paper bags like that since I was a child. And there are still labor shortages everywhere.

So tomorrow we start this month at a quick jog, with hopes there will be a ceasefire in Ukraine and that on our little homefront we will be able to get some projects done.  God is good and He is faithful, even when mankind is not.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut