Skip to main content

Welcome 2022!

Neither my parents nor my husband are in to New Year's Resolutions. They all hold to the premise that each day is a gift to be used to the fullest and the first day of the year is not any different than any other day on the calendar.  And there is a lot of truth in that, but I also think setting goals at the start of each year can help us focus on life a little better. 

December was a very busy month for us.  We spent almost a week (counting travel time) in AL with my family, where we joined forces in helping my brother and his wife clean and begin preparations for house renovations.  While we got a lot done, we left them with still a lot to do.  Mom texted me today that the painting is now halfway done, and Dad and a coworker of my brother's ripped up the old flooring in all the rooms that had connecting flooring. That is huge!! I think the goal is to have things done enough that they can move in February when the whole family is there to celebrate Dad's 80th birthday.  Amie is nearing the third trimester, and so far everything is going well, other than the ongoing sickness. While the shock of the pregnancy is wearing off, it still seems surreal.  We are so excited and I wished I lived closer so I could be a part of this child's life. I feel like I missed out on so much of my other nieces and nephew's lives. 

Christmas is still not over for us. We met with one of Bobby's nieces yesterday, will meet with another one today, and one of his nephews is out of town through the end of next week. Then I think we will have met with everyone at some point. I haven't decided when I will take my decorations down. Not today! I want to enjoy my lights a few more days. :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut