Skip to main content

Strange days or new normal?

 To be honest, I've lost track of how long Covid-19 has been around. We live on the Johnston County/Wake County border, and sometimes it's like we're straddling two different worlds. If I do anything with Raleigh friends or shop in Raleigh or Cary, it's masks on, hand sanitizer everywhere and people keeping their distance. My Raleigh friends are just now getting to the point where they want classes or group meetings to be held in person, and even then they are being extremely cautious.

And then there's my town, which now seems to be evenly split. There's those who still wear masks but have decreased the social distancing, those who wear masks but no longer social distance, and now we're starting to see people ignoring the mask mandate all together.

When I go to church or shop in Johnston County (our church is in JoCo) you wouldn't know there was a pandemic happening at all. No social distancing, almost no masks, though I do see a lot of hand sanitizer being used.

But even though people are getting out about and starting to say "Life must go on, virus or not" things are not normal. Empty shelves continue to happen in stores (though we still have an overabundance of items compared to many countries). The craziest thing to me is all the "help wanted" signs EVERYWHERE. I'm reminded of my college days where I left high school and had searched for jobs for 6 months before I finally got one and then went to the big city where jobs were everywhere. I chose to stay in Nashville one summer with two friends simply because there was an abundance of jobs there. The three us of rented a one bedroom apartment in a lady's basement and I worked 70+ hours every week all summer. But even the, I don't remember restaurants or stores closing because they couldn't get help.

So these are the hiring signs I've seen up this week alone in places I've been or walked past:

US Post Office, Garner - carriers. sorters, clerks
Hudson's Hardware - Full time and part-time
Carolina BBQ - all positions
McDonalds - $600 signing bonus
Bojangles - up to $15 hr
Food Lion - both Garner locations
City BBQ
Sheetz Gas Station
Agri-Supply
IHOP
Target - $15 hr and up
Dollar Tree
Five Below

and the city of Raleigh announced yesterday that they will not be running the Christmas Polar Express this year because they do not have enough personnel...they are 80 workers short, and 70 of those would be used to operate the train and winter activities.

Wake County Public School System is also over 100 people short for its substitute teachers roster.  My sister, who lives in a different state, told me even if a family member tests positive for covid, she and her fellow teachers were told unless they themselves tests positive they still have to come to work because there's not any replacements for them. 

If it wasn't for the fact I want to be free to travel to Alabama and help out Mom and Dad as needed and I know I'll need two weeks during the holiday off, I would apply for a part-time job. It almost seems crazy not to do so right now. I imagine there are many other people in my situation who know it is best for the household for someone to be at home managing things, but it also seems a little crazy to see so many positions open and not help fill them.  I've seen numerous posts on social media about the reasons behind people not working or returning work. I do know several people who switched careers during the shut down, but I don't know anyone who was working and is no longer working, minus two people who lost their jobs because they refused to take a vaccine.

I don't know if this is a continuation of the strange days we are in, or if this is simply our new normal.  Time will tell.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut