Skip to main content

halfway and still facing both directions

Since the death of George Floyd, life in America has continued to spiral in ridiculously crazy circles, much like that teacup ride at Walt Disney World. I do not expect anyone to read all this, but I am trying to chronicle what is happening so I can look back at it later. I still cannot believe that we are halfway through 2020. A part of me feels like this year just started, and the other part of me feels like we have lived through three years already.

In the course of one day, I've had two different nurse friends living in two different states post about the overwhelming numbers of people coming in for coronavirus testing, all exhibiting symptoms that they have never witnessed before in their 20+ years of nursing. And in the same day, I've read posts from two other friends who are mocking the media for posting on the virus and making comments about how this is all government mind control and clearly not real.

Sunday we actually went to church for the first time since March. And while I knew the church was doing everything it could to enforce social distancing, I also knew from what little snippets we saw before and after church on livestream that a few people are not taking this seriously. We wore our masks. We got a few eye rolls, and had one person tell us he wasn't going to live in fear. I told him I wasn't afraid either, but I did want to be wise. We've seen firsthand how seriously the medical field is taking this virus, and I know what is at stake for us should one of us get it. The irony is not lost on me that in China students were mortified when I never wore a mask during flu/cold season. They do, by choice. And they considered me extremely reckless and foolish for not wearing one. And now, when there is a new strand of disease around the world, and many people around me are not wearing one, I am choosing to wear a mask. I'd say 60-70% of shoppers in Target wear one; the grocery store depends on what time of day you go, but it is almost always 50% or more. My family in AL says almost no one there wears one, but that could also be why their numbers are climbing ever higher.  The number of deaths from Covid in our country now equal the deaths of forty 9-11s.

Statues and monuments have been defaced and vandalised around the country with all the protests.  Some of them do need to come down, but I wish they had come down through dialogue and discussion and not by mob rule. There had been talks by the NC Historical Commission in the last 3-4 years about adding more statues and plaques that place a true historical context around the civil war era monuments, but nothing was ever done. I would have loved to see the one statue of the soldier removed from its pedastal and placed alongside statues of a Union soldier, a slave, and a farmer, with a plaque bearing the dates of the war, dates of emancipation, and an estimate of the numbers of deaths and costs from NC in each category, along with the refrain stated in letters over and over throughout those four ghastly years "War is hell." I think people would be startled at the high cost to everyone involved. But they didn't, and they won't. The reality is most people know there are statues and monuments, but I don't think very many people are aware of what they represent, who put them up, or how long they have been there. So if they truly aren't serving as reminders to the costs and sacrifices of so many, why are they up?  Historians and protestors alike would be appalled to hear me say that, for different reasons, but times like this make me think about God's command not to have graven images, and I can't help but wonder if we as a people, both sides, have failed to see this as subjective artwork and instead  have place more significance onto metal than there should ever be placed.

But the Civil War era is not the only area of history being targeted. Anything and everything pertaining to racism is fair grounds for vandalism and attack. I think the current list is George Washington, Andrew Jackson,  Thomas Jefferson, Ulysses S. Grant, some Catholic priest I've never heard of, Francis Scott Key, Theodore Roosevelt, replicas of the Vietnam War wall, and the WWII memorial in DC. One of the leaders in the Black Lives Matter movement is also calling for all stained glass windows or statues bearing a White Jesus or White Mary be destroyed, as they are inaccurate presentations of Christianity. While I totally agree with him that it is inaccurate and wrong, I am also aware that almost every culture has drawn the Biblical figures not in their historical, ethnic depiction but in their own likeness, whether it be Asian, Latino, or European. And that doesn't bother me much. Advocating for people to destroy another's religious structures is not cool. At all. It will be interesting to see if people adhere to that or draw the line there.

Meanwhile examples of police brutality continue to come to light. If I were President, I think I'd call together a few police chiefs from cities, a few from small towns, a few reps from NAACP, the heads of several gaming and app groups, a few lawyers, and a few drill sargeants from Camp LaJeune and attempt to have two apps created (one for city policemen and one for small towns) that would essentially be a video game that would take the police through real life scenarios and could teach/enforce what behaviors/comments cause triggers for escalation or violence and what would de-esculate a situation. It might not change anything, but it would be a good starting point for department heads to look at their employees and see who needs further training or dismissal. Speaking of dismissal, so far Raleigh's police chief, who is African-American, is refusing to step down and has the backing of the mayor. I cannot even begin to fathom the hurt she must be facing. There are changes coming about, though most of them are based on a city-wide basis, which is as it should be. Applying band-aids to every department when some need major surgery and others simply need an examination is not a wise practice.

All of this is a true reminder that sin of any kind, when swept under the rug, eventually causes heartache. I pray our nation heals, but also that it finds true repentance first.


Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

fun...funny houses

 We saw the above house in Pittsboro while on our way to the mountains. It was the strangest house I've ever seen. Evidently this isn't a modification, for Bobby remembers thinking it funny as a child. Evidently a governor lived here at one point. I think the sign said it's now a Masonic lodge. And if seeing one funny house wasn't enough, the latest issue of This Old House had a link to their website that had several galleries of funny (or strange houses). Here's my favorites from their collection:   Szymbark , Poland  This just makes me laugh, and I would love to visit this house in person. Created by a designer who wanted to demonstrate "wrong-doings against humanity".  Visitors have stood in line for as long as 6 hours to tour the house, and many come out feeling "sea-sick".     Kalambaka, Greece... This 1,000 foot cliff drop has housed monastaries since the 11th century. Six of them are open to the public, " assuming, of course, th