Skip to main content

current events

Pandemic - while our local count of the virus has dropped and is holding steady, things have only slightly opened back up. Groups continue to sue the governor for the right to open and attempt to abide by guidelines (churches sued two weeks ago and won the right to meet and social distance; bars, gyms, and bowling alleys were supposed to partially open this past week along with hair salons and restaurants but instead were told they could not. Those groups are now either suing or investigating their options as appeals for help and guidance go unheard.) Many restaurants are continuing to only have curbside and drive-thru as the measures required to open the dining halls are financially unfeasible to do. Several quilt shops have opened but one of their many precautions is that restrooms are closed to customers. So that basically means I won't go. I'm not willing to drive 40 minutes one way to then spend half an hour shopping and then drive another 40 minutes home without having access to a bathroom. My bladder would not survive.  And while America is still very much the land of plenty, I'm still amazed at the rolling shortages of items in the grocery store. Peanut butter, frozen vegetables and some pastas continue to be very limited in supply. Cleaning supplies with bleach or peroxide, toilet paper, hand sanitizer, and many canned goods continue to be non-existent or so limited that there are quotas. I did find toilet paper at the Dollar Tree this week. They are very small rolls, but it's good quality and I'm thankful to find it period.

Racial injustice and murders - A black man named Gregory Floyd was murdered at the hands of police in Minnesota. His crime? Attempting to use a counterfeit bill. I've seen two video clips (and simply cannot watch any more) and in one (which has two parts) the media showed he was not resisting arrest in any form or fashion. But even the fact that they would attempt to arrest someone for using a counterfeit bill shocks me. I've been given a fake bill by a bank teller before. When I tried to use it a store, the lady asked me if I knew it was fake, and when I told her no and I just got it from the bank, she returned it to me and told me to take it back to them but I couldn't use it there. (The bank did replace it.) So I do not understand why the store owner or the officers felt it necessary to make an arrest in the first place. Even worse, I do not understand the officer placing his knee in an area that would cause a panic or anxiety attack at best when the person is begging for air and help. The most heart wrenching is long after they suspected he was dead, they continued to "subdue" him in such a manner and never once attempted CPR or offered in relief whatsoever. First degree murder in most places is a pre-meditated or planned murder, so I do understand not having a first degree charge, but I am a bit puzzled by the third degree/manslaughter charge. That is usually reserved for things like death by vehicle that is not intended to kill but does. Growing up in a small town, you know very well about the inconsistencies of police officers or the ones that are bad. You know that bad cops exist. I have several classmates who serves as police officers now. One of them lost his job for telling an officer under him not to comply with the chief's request to turn over the unused evidence (drugs) to him. My classmate lost his job over it, though the chief was later charged and found guilt and the new chief unsuccessfully tried to get him to return. I know there are many evil cops out there who use their uniform to abuse power. But it makes me sick to my stomach to think that black American males fear the cops the same way my students in China did. I don't know what the solution is. (Yes, I am an American and do think problems can and should be solved...used to drive my Chinese students crazy.) I've thought about a few things, but those are things that must come from our leaders and not from me. (Perhaps that's a post for another day.)

Protests and riots - As a result of the recent murder, there have been protests against police brutality, as there has been after other deaths at the hands of police officers (except for the two situations where white people were wrongly murdered at the hands of police here in NC in the last 5 years. No one but the media seemed outraged over those deaths, and even the media only talked about it for a day or two.) In Minneapolis, where George Floyd was murdered, one group of protestors attacked and burned a police station. I can kind of understand that one, even if I disagree with it. But when they began to attack and loot Target, the Dollar Tree, Starbucks, and bus stations, in my personal opinion, they stopped being protestors and were simply angry, anti-civilation idiots. The family of George Floyd is begging for this to stop. As the burning and looting has spread, there appears to continue to be three groups: the protestors wanting true change and justice; the anarchists who only want to destroy, kill and serve themselves by looting, and the helpers who are uniting to clean up the mess every morning after. They also attacked CNN media in Atlanta, along with a sports museum.  I can understand why they are angry with police and are attacking them and their vehicles, but I do not understand the rationale, or lack of it, for the destruction of all the other public and personal property.

China - India and China are once again in dispute over borders. China is finally cracking down on Hong Kong's freedoms, attempting to bring them more inline with the rest of their domain, and the rest of the world is rebuking them for it. Britain has actually stated that anyone with a six month work visa from Hong Kong can receive a British passport and China is having a fit over that. And of course our president is continuously creating ill will with them over the virus ( no pun intended there), but very few people are still speaking out about the human rights violations of the Uighers.

We have had rough times before, but today it seems as if things are very dark on the world's horizon. We truly live in a world broken by sin, and are in desperate need of redemption.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

fun...funny houses

 We saw the above house in Pittsboro while on our way to the mountains. It was the strangest house I've ever seen. Evidently this isn't a modification, for Bobby remembers thinking it funny as a child. Evidently a governor lived here at one point. I think the sign said it's now a Masonic lodge. And if seeing one funny house wasn't enough, the latest issue of This Old House had a link to their website that had several galleries of funny (or strange houses). Here's my favorites from their collection:   Szymbark , Poland  This just makes me laugh, and I would love to visit this house in person. Created by a designer who wanted to demonstrate "wrong-doings against humanity".  Visitors have stood in line for as long as 6 hours to tour the house, and many come out feeling "sea-sick".     Kalambaka, Greece... This 1,000 foot cliff drop has housed monastaries since the 11th century. Six of them are open to the public, " assuming, of course, th