Skip to main content

nearing the end

It's startling to look at the calendar and realize how long it's been since I posted as well as how little time is left in the month.

Training classes for the primary election are now over. I still need to sit down and read through my manual and make a phone call to a few Chief Judges before the big day, but no more driving into Raleigh until the weekend before the election. And while I miss the extra money that comes from working early voting and the excitement of assisting people vote, I am enjoying being at home these next two weeks.

I printed out a sample ballot for us. I thought I could glance over it, research a candidate or two, then we'd be ready to head to early voting. I was quite shocked when I didn't recognize but one or two names on the ballot!! So I'm now about halfway through reading up on the all the candidates.

Finally finished painting our bathroom. It's not professional, but it looks way better and it is done. Now to finish cleaning it!

After many, many months of thinking, pondering, worrying, debating, researching, deciding no, getting an email and starting the process all over again, which involved rearranging my sewing room, I finally  made a decision...I have ordered a longarm quilting machine. I still don't have all the space I would like for it, but am fairly confident I won't feel so overcrowded that I hate being in the room. It was a huge decision and one I'm still a little nervous that I made, but mostly I am excited. I still have some cleaning to do in my sewing room before it comes the first of next month, but I'm already debating which quilt top I'm going to load on it first. :)  And I've already named it, even though it's not here yet. Bobby thinks that crazy.

But in the midst of cleaning out my sewing room, I've actually completed three quilt tops and started two more. Three of them are for the guild, but are using up scraps/fabric I already had. I did manage to empty one small shoebox of fabric and have put a small dent in another bag. (Sadly it's not the half off a bag I was hoping to see!)

My nephew was injured Friday at work. While unloading empty oil barrels the pile toppled  (not uncommon) and one hit him in the back at an angle. It messed up a lower muscle in his back and he could possibly have a fractured vertebrae. It was a rough weekend for him, but he sounded good on the phone Sunday afternoon.  I didn't talk to him yesterday to see how his first day back went.

We also had three chicks hatch on the 8th of this month - one pale yellow with stripes; one light brown with stripes, and one black one with a white belly and one white spot. Other than them not being able to get back into the hen house at night and it being low 40's and upper 30's, meaning they'll freeze if not under their Mom or a heat lamp) and me having to crawl in the mud under the hen house to attempt to get them two nights in a row, they are doing well. It's not exactly the right time of year for a hen to hatch out chicks, but I guess the springlike weather in January had her in the mood.
We also took 3 of the 5 that hatched last fall to the butcher since they were roosters and were starting to cause problems. I hated it, as one of them was very pretty, but I'm not going to have them fighting to the death.

And life keeps moving on!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

fun...funny houses

 We saw the above house in Pittsboro while on our way to the mountains. It was the strangest house I've ever seen. Evidently this isn't a modification, for Bobby remembers thinking it funny as a child. Evidently a governor lived here at one point. I think the sign said it's now a Masonic lodge. And if seeing one funny house wasn't enough, the latest issue of This Old House had a link to their website that had several galleries of funny (or strange houses). Here's my favorites from their collection:   Szymbark , Poland  This just makes me laugh, and I would love to visit this house in person. Created by a designer who wanted to demonstrate "wrong-doings against humanity".  Visitors have stood in line for as long as 6 hours to tour the house, and many come out feeling "sea-sick".     Kalambaka, Greece... This 1,000 foot cliff drop has housed monastaries since the 11th century. Six of them are open to the public, " assuming, of course, th