Skip to main content

4th-6th graders

For years, the children's section of our church was boy heavy. As in the boys outnumbered the girls at least two to one. Some years it was more than that. And I learned that 4th-6th grade boys, much like American high school boys, love to talk. A lot. One classroom management strategy that seemed to work like a charm was making them sit boy-girl. Unlike high schoolers, at that age boys and girls don't interact except to pester each other, and the thought of sitting beside a member of the opposite sex is true punishment. It worked great, so much so that when they started begging for a trial Sunday of sitting beside their friends, we decided to let them try it, with the understanding that they would get one reminder and the second offense was to be moved beside a girl. The first Sunday they were as good as gold. The second Sunday they needed one reminder. The third Sunday was the same. The last Sunday of the month I moved one of the talkers beside a girl who was very quiet. She looked up at me with tears welling up in her eyes and said "But what did I do wrong?"  I quickly replied "Nothing" but the more I thought on it later the more I realized how she probably did view it as punishment for good behavior.

The last two years we've had the exact opposite situation - almost all girls (and sometimes only girls). And they are QUIET. So quiet that we've almost quit planning games or activities with the lesson because they don't want to participate. They'll sit terrified or quietly giggle.

But the last four months, that has changed. The boys actually cheered last Sunday because one girl was out and they outnumbered the girls by one. As the new teachers rotated in for their month of teaching today, I gave them a heads up about the change in classroom dynamics. Afterwards one of the teachers mentioned they almost went to the dreaded boy/girl seating arrangement, and all the girls protested. I laughed, not realizing other teachers had used the same technique, but am also sobered realizing the girls view this is as punishment even more than the guys (for they are NOT the ones talking).

So I guess part of my agenda this next month will be to talk with elementary/middle school teachers for this age and ask for classroom management suggestions. I want them to enjoy class, but I also want them to learn. And I am totally baffled why girls have the stereotype of being the most talkative gender.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

fun...funny houses

 We saw the above house in Pittsboro while on our way to the mountains. It was the strangest house I've ever seen. Evidently this isn't a modification, for Bobby remembers thinking it funny as a child. Evidently a governor lived here at one point. I think the sign said it's now a Masonic lodge. And if seeing one funny house wasn't enough, the latest issue of This Old House had a link to their website that had several galleries of funny (or strange houses). Here's my favorites from their collection:   Szymbark , Poland  This just makes me laugh, and I would love to visit this house in person. Created by a designer who wanted to demonstrate "wrong-doings against humanity".  Visitors have stood in line for as long as 6 hours to tour the house, and many come out feeling "sea-sick".     Kalambaka, Greece... This 1,000 foot cliff drop has housed monastaries since the 11th century. Six of them are open to the public, " assuming, of course, th