Skip to main content

Projects and people

Well, the flower bed is ready for some warmer weather so I can get the rest of my bulbs in the ground.

And in the midst of moving things for the floors and hatching chicks, the table cloth covering the mess under the aquarium table was ruined, and after staring at the aquarium for a few weeks I decided it was time to set it back up. So I bought a backdrop for it this morning, and it is now acclimating and getting ready for future inhabitants. The filter pump still works, though it's very noisy.

We bought chicks from the Little Birdie Hatchery to go with the 5 we hatched (the last 3 never fully hatched and 2 that did didn't last, hence the mess from the incubator on the tablecloth). They're all growing like weeds. I've handled these the least of any birds I've ever had, and it shows. They're also not the smartest birds we've ever had. Usually by now they know I feed them. These haven't figured that out and respond like I'm a monstrous hawk about to end their lives.

In the last 3 weeks our Quilt of Valor group has had 3 presentations and another scheduled tomorrow. I also have 3 forms on my desk for more...and 2 of them are not close by. I don't mind organizing things and being in charge, but I would like for someone else to step up to the plate and help with some of it. I think bbn it's a worthy cause, but I'm not ready for it to take over my life.

Mom's lupus has been in flair up mode since January, and Dad and Bobby have both been experiencing irregular heartbeats. I have my sugar test tomorrow which does not thrill me as I have NOT been good in my eating these last 3 months.

Meanwhile I am very close to getting everything put back in place and tackling a few unfinished projects (while contemplating new ones....haha).

Hopefully there will be more pictures in the near future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

fun...funny houses

 We saw the above house in Pittsboro while on our way to the mountains. It was the strangest house I've ever seen. Evidently this isn't a modification, for Bobby remembers thinking it funny as a child. Evidently a governor lived here at one point. I think the sign said it's now a Masonic lodge. And if seeing one funny house wasn't enough, the latest issue of This Old House had a link to their website that had several galleries of funny (or strange houses). Here's my favorites from their collection:   Szymbark , Poland  This just makes me laugh, and I would love to visit this house in person. Created by a designer who wanted to demonstrate "wrong-doings against humanity".  Visitors have stood in line for as long as 6 hours to tour the house, and many come out feeling "sea-sick".     Kalambaka, Greece... This 1,000 foot cliff drop has housed monastaries since the 11th century. Six of them are open to the public, " assuming, of course, th