Skip to main content

hurry,hurry, wait

Because we were gone for a few days, then came home to several days of rain, our yard was in desperate need of attention. In the past when our grass has gotten that high, we've found we have three options: cut it high and then cut it lower a 2nd time, cut it at the normal height and have glass clumps all over the yard which ultimately kill the grass (and get tracked in the house), or cut it at normal height and either go over all the clumps with the pusher mower  to bag it or rake it all up. None are thrilling options. We were leaning for the first choice - cutting it 2x. While it seems like a waste of time and money, it actually is fast to do that than options 2 or 3.

So some teen boys were coming over to help, and I was going to start earlier and get as much of the first cut done as I could before they came...and the riding mower would not start. We replaced the battery and a few other parts last month, so I was more than a bit exasperated. I went to the nearby mini mart to get gas for the the push mower and weed eaters and started pruning shrubs when I got back. It was so hot that I had no track at time, but I was quite surprised when a flatbed pulled up. I thought it was the dealer coming to pick up our lawnmower, and was quite pleased that Bobby had called them and they had responded that fast. Usually it takes several days to get on the pick up list, and then it takes 2-3 weeks (at least!) for them to repair and return the mower. A few minutes later, Bobby came up and said "They got it fixed. The fuse was loose." I was like ...What?!  And then I realized it was not the dealer who was there, but the boys who rent the farm from my Mom-in-law. They delivered her riding mower to us, AND repaired ours. What started out as head-butting session with reality turned into a blessing. One of the boys continued with the trim work, another took our mower and started on the back yard, and I started with Mrs. Bryan's mower doing the second cut on the front and finishing what had not been completed. We were able to TOTALLY finish the yard (cutting wise) before 1pm. They came back today and finished the trim work and did some around the pond. The ending of that story was certainly nothing like the beginning!

Meanwhile my nephew has a HUGE pile of topsoil behind his newly built house. He didn't let the builder haul it away because a relative said they wanted it, but after several months of staring at it, they've offered it up to anyone who will take it. They have someone coming this weekend, but he told me I could take what I wanted. So we loaded the wheelbarrow up the ramp in Bobby's van, and I've brought about 7 wheelbarrows full over since last night. We were able to fill up the gaping holes DOT left in the curb at our driveway (where they took our yard for the turn lane into the school), as well as a few holes left on the other end of our front yard where they raised the road. (They put in a silt fence for several months, and it had been raining when they came to pick it up and two pick-ups got stuck in our yard...yeah rah!) We quit at 11 this morning as I had a lot of indoor work to do. We were expecting company this weekend, but I got an e-mail saying no one was coming. My first thought was total relief! So I'm still pushing to get my projects done, but the zeal and panic is gone. We'll see whether or not that's a good thing.

I'm 3/4 finished with trimming the shrubs, 3/4 finished with cleaning the pantry, and I've currently got laundry going and am tackling a messy pile in the laundry room. My goal is to have at LEAST one of these projects completed before church tonight. And who knows? I may have started 3 others before the day is out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

fun...funny houses

 We saw the above house in Pittsboro while on our way to the mountains. It was the strangest house I've ever seen. Evidently this isn't a modification, for Bobby remembers thinking it funny as a child. Evidently a governor lived here at one point. I think the sign said it's now a Masonic lodge. And if seeing one funny house wasn't enough, the latest issue of This Old House had a link to their website that had several galleries of funny (or strange houses). Here's my favorites from their collection:   Szymbark , Poland  This just makes me laugh, and I would love to visit this house in person. Created by a designer who wanted to demonstrate "wrong-doings against humanity".  Visitors have stood in line for as long as 6 hours to tour the house, and many come out feeling "sea-sick".     Kalambaka, Greece... This 1,000 foot cliff drop has housed monastaries since the 11th century. Six of them are open to the public, " assuming, of course, th