Skip to main content

Kids Day Camp 2018

This week I spent most of my days with several (9-12, depending on the day) 1st-3rd graders. For years I've listened to this age group moan that all the kids get to go to camp but them. So last year I decided to do a day camp, except we couldn't pull it off. So this year - it happened.

To be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect. But I think the kids loved it (one was sad to find out we weren't meeting again tomorrow!), or at least most parts of it. And it looks like we will do it again next year, though we'll change certain parts of it.

Two days the sports segment couldn't happen do to a scheduling conflict, so we did field trips the first two days. We know to charge a little more next year, and schedule someone who is an excellent swimmer to be there at swim time. (Thankfully our church's summer intern was able to help out with that the last few days!) The pool we were using has a smaller shallow end than I remember, and it got a little crowded the first few days. I had a few tears from a few who couldn't swim but were convinced they could go off the slide or diving board into water over their heads. Ummm...no. You can't.

I am tired. My house is a wreck, though I did manage to stay semi-caught up on the laundry during the week. So hopefully tomorrow I can start putting things back in order, get some garden work done, and get a schedule going for next week. Since I cut grass after getting my home, my ears have not realized things are quite around me yet.  I don't think I will miss the constant "Ms. Monica, what's next?" tomorrow, but I will miss the giggles, and yes, even the groans.  Day 1 & 2 I thought the week might go on forever, but the last 3 days have absolutely flown by.

It's been a great week, but it's also reminded me that being a caregiver is a job, and while I can work part-time and do it, there were some valid reasons for why I stopped my part-time job.

Oh...and I lost Bobby's church keys. I had to tell the Pastor today. I know I had them yesterday after I unlocked the door, but when we went to lock up in the afternoon, I didn't. So I'm 98% positive they're somewhere at church. I just have NO CLUE where. That might be one way to make sure I never get asked to head something up again!!!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut