Skip to main content

pollen week

Well, the first week of pollen season is here. I remember as a child, the first time I saw pollen on the car. I was horrified and didn't know what was happening in the world. Mother laughed at me and seemed incredulous that I was shocked. I have no clue how old I was, I just remember my horror at coming out of the store to a yellow car.

Today in the store, I heard three different ladies from NY saying this was their first spring in NC, and they had never seen anything like it. A part of me wanted to say "Welcome to the South. It only lasts about 3 week" but I remembered my shock when I first saw it and figured I'd let them continue to marvel at this strange and yucky stuff.

It's supposed to rain today - storm, actually. So I hustled to get the last of my pole beans into the ground, and planted some eggplant in my one and only planter's box. I'm excited and a tad baffled by my graden this year, even though I'm the one who plotted it out. There's still bush beans, peppers, corn, and okra to go into the ground, though we're still pondering the corn. I'm pondering whether or not to put up a fence; Bobby's pondering why on earth I'd consider planting corn without a fence. The fact we saw 5 deer in one of the areas I'm contemplating the other night has only increased those thoughts.

We've lost two hens this week. One was taken about 5am in the morning (the dogs and geese put up an outrageous protest),  and the other was simply a pile of feathers the next morning. I repaired a hole in the pen's fence yesterday. I'm not overly pleased with the end result, but our two remaining hens were still alive this morning so I suppose it did it's job. Hopefully I can repair the electric fence this week and give them an extra layer of protection as well.

The biddies are doing well, feathering and growing like crazy. So I guess technically they're now pullets. One of the oldest (a leghorn) hopped up onto the smaller perch post Josh and I added to the pen today (a first!), making me think all that time and energy to insert it was well worth it. We have the small house located between the house and the garden area, which is inside the dogs' fence line.I thought that might help protect them a little more, and so far I think that's been a wise move. Freckles especially is keeping a close eye on them and is very curious about their movements, especially when they chase each other when one has a bug. It's not uncommon to see her sitting beside the pen with her head tilted and a puzzled expression on her face. I've yet to capture a pic of her in that position as she moves when she sees me, but I've seen the scene a lot since we've moved the biddies outside.

And if my brain was refusing to accept the fact that spring was here, the trees and shrubs filling out  with greenery and colors tells me we are quickly moving on through this year. (Hello! It is April already!!!)

So I'm still two projects behind for the year (replacing the big hen house and redoing the small flower garden), and we won't even discuss quilting projects, but I am pleased with some of the clean-up and the reproduction of the small hen house. (and no, I still don't have all the finishing touches completed on it!) 

Hopefully when I sit down the next time I will have pictures to post. Springward ho!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut