Skip to main content

waving as I go...

There are times when life seems like a parade route with slow moving floats that never want to go anywhere. And then there are times when it seems like something from a movie where the floats take off in fast motion and the people are waving frantically as they whiz past the crowds.

Spring is always one of those crazy times when things pick up the pace faster than should be allowed, but there's not a lot that can be done about it.  But there are some really good things happening among that craziness.

The two teens who help us out some assisted me in putting up the fencing around the garden area yesterday. It made a world of difference having two extra sets of hands. One rotated the roll of wire, one pulled the wiring taut, while one of us attached the wires to the posts. We rotated positions some throughout the procedure, and hopefully that made it a little easier on everyone. I think it looks so much better than the first section of the garden I did a few years ago.  I've planted most of my pole beans (though not all!), and everything else will be slowly planted over the next 6 weeks, depending on when the seed should be planted. I'm excited, but also a little sunburned and wondering what on earth I've gotten myself into this year. :) And in the midst of cleaning out the garage to get the brooder box outside where it belongs, the rain water barrel we bought almost 10 years ago is finally outside near the shed where I should have put it years ago. :) Finally!!!

I swept all the dust (much of it coming from having the biddies and the brooder box inside the house the last three weeks) last night, then mopped the living room a few minutes ago, and it STILL looks dusty in some spots to me. The rain last night washed a yellow line of polled against the dam, and I can't help but wonder if some of this is pollen we've tracked inside and not actually dust. I've been off my allergy meds since January, and I've noticed an increase in congestion and pressure, but am holding off on taking anything as long as possible. And despite the complaints of many people, I am THANKFUL for the rain coming when it is, both for staving off a summer drought AND for hopefully making some of the next 3 pollen weeks less miserable.

And this weekend is the kids Easter party at church. Due to a lot of changes and transitions in how things are done, this is a last minute planned event, and I've got a LOT of stuff to do between now and tomorrow at 2pm. So starting in a few hours, our schedule from now through Monday week is way busier than I care for it to be. I'm trying to keep my focus on one thing at a time and what IS being accomplished and not what is waiting by the wayside. So far that's resulted in a few mistakes (typing in our address backwards on an order, etc) but so far nothing that is so drastic that life is truly messed up.

And with that, I'm signing off to make my Wal-mart list.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut