Skip to main content

January

I don't know that I can call this month a whirlwind. Perhaps a month of change has been more appropriate. Our church changed schedules last Sunday. Despite the fact that our Pastor doesn't want to use the term "Sunday School", that is what we now essentially have at 8:45am, with our regular service starting at 10am, and no pm service. We're only two Sundays in, so I'm still not totally sure how I feel about it.

The end of December I had a bit of a wake-up call healthwise. We're making some lifestyle changes and I'll meet with the dr again the end of March. Some days are harder than others. I actually drank 99% unsweet tea today at lunch for the first time (on purpose), and thought it was good. I don't know if the changes in our eating habits have made a difference (or that I've quit taking my allergy meds), but I've actually had more energy and am sleeping way better than I was. I have to keep reminding myself that this is a life-long marathon and not a sprint.

I was really hoping to give up group leader responsibilities for Quilts of Valor this year, but that didn't happen. I was all convinced it was not going to usurp as much of my life this year as last, but then I got a call Monday night that a quilt show at a nearby town had a place reserved for QOV and no rep for it. Our group had tried to get vendor spots at previous shows and was told we'd have to pay.  And a volunteer group who's already forking out money for quilts and presentations doesn't exactly have money to throw out for quilt shows. This group was letting us have a spot for free. I actually had a "free" weekend (meaning I was planning to clean house), and couldn't see the point in telling someone from another state that not one person from NC was willing to man a table. So I pulled together flyers for our block drive and quilt requirements, put together an album of most of the quilts our group has done, grabbed a quilt and a card table...and I went. Two ladies from the Fayetteville group joined me Saturday, and I enjoyed having someone else to talk to as well as getting to learn more about how other groups do things.  Tonight I actually went on the group leaders website and saw someone submitted a request for a group presentation of 12 quilts for Vietnam Vets in our town...in 3 weeks. I think we may actually have enough quilts ready/almost ready that we can pull it off, but I'm not sure. It's not officially been assigned to our group, though I'm fairly certain it will be. So I feel as if my role has intensified instead of backing off.

Election work begins again in March. I'm still on the fence about how much longer I'll do this, but I'm committed through this year unless something drastically changes.

And in the midst of all of that, I'm trying really hard to keep the house clean and do more reading than I've done in the past. Hence I'm on the computer a little less, and that is part of the reason why my blog has been so neglected.

Oh...and I will be a great aunt in August. Seems like yesterday I was anxiously awaiting the phone call in China that my niece had safely arrived in this world, and now she's carrying her own child. Nieces and nephews having children are that gentle shove that time has passed me by while I was busy living life.

Hopefully I will find time to write and post pics this week, but I make no promises.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut