Skip to main content

openings and closings


  • Tuesday night, December 19th - Jr Church Caroling Not the most promoted of our year's activities, but we pulled it off nonetheless. We narrowed our road map this year and attempted to sing to all the widows plus two other families in the church. One wasn't home; one was a little bittersweet as her husband was barely hanging on this time last year (and the kids clearly remembered she had made them cookies last year!), but the funniest was when we visited the home of a younger widow who has recently started attending our church. The sidewalk to her front door was a little narrow, and when the leader got beside her car and started walking, he jumped back in shock. There was a HUGE cat sitting on the trunk, and it was at the same level as his face! Once the initial shock was gone everyone was laughing.
  • Wednesday, Dec 20th - Packing Day Bobby got up early to take a friend to the hospital to have a pacemaker put in, and I headed out in the rain towards Washington, NC. There were plenty of men from the church helping load things into the truck, so I headed inside to help my sister. We pulled the remaining things from the attic, cleaned the bottom kitchen cabinets, cleaned out the laundry closet once the machines were loaded, and I swept floors while she mopped. Then we swapped out and I mopped a floor while she cleaned a bathroom. By that point the truck was back from loading up Todd's office, and it was time for me to head home and them to finish and freshen up for church.
  • Thursday, Dec 21st- heading to TN. Stopped at a quilt shop on the way and met a girl whose entire family had attended BJU. Checked into our hotel and rested a bit before meeting Susan and David at a neat restaurant for supper. Bobby gets sick once we returned to the hotel.
  • Friday, Dec 22 - TN & AL Bobby is still very sick on his stomach, but drops me off at the house Todd and Mindy are renting in Gallatin then heads to be with Susan's crowd in Hendersonville. Still raining. We get the truck unloaded, met some really neat people, including two young boys named Larry and Steve. After lunch at 2pm my brother dropped me off at Susan's before heading back to AL. We had Christmas with the Moffitts, then headed to AL as they finished packing to head to NC. Stopped to eat supper at Cracker Barrel so Bobby could hopefully settle his stomach and take meds. He ate 3 bites of his dumplings, but felt well enough to drive on in (that was being debated prior to stopping). Got him in bed and started washing clothes as soon as we made it to Mom & Dads. My sister-in-law has the flu. My Dad, brother, and nephew had rebuilt the ramp at the house, and I was SO thankful. I don't have to help Bobby in the house now!
  • Saturday, Dec 23 -my birthday Bobby was able to eat a little that day. My younger sister made lasagna for supper that was incredible. My older sister and her husband made it in from TN. A good evening with family, though we missed Amie who was still running a fever and the oldest nieces who spent this Christmas with their new spouse's families.
  • Sunday, Dec 24 - Christmas Eve. Church in the am, family time in the afternoon/evening.
  • Monday, Dec 25th - we didn't open presents until the evening, and our family really scaled things back this year, but it was a great time of laughter and memories.
  • Tuesday, Dec 26th - took Mom to the Jasper Pickers. It was her first time. It's an interesting mix of booths that vary from thrift store to antique to flea market type stuff. We got home to learn that they were predicting sleet through the night, so we decided to head home early and left AL at 7pm and drove through Atlanta.
  • Wednesday, Dec 27th - While the stomach bug is gone for Bobby, the lingering side effects/problems are still there. He had a long, rough drive home. Mom and Dad's 55th anniversary.
  • Thursday, Dec 28th - After another rough night we slept in this morning (or I did and Bobby was just stuck resting). Was able to get a lot of laundry done as well as some needed cleaning.

    And tomorrow the round of dr appointments and meetings that have been scheduled for a while start. I'm amazed at how quickly January is filling up before it even gets here. But we are blessed, and I'm thankful we had some great time with family, even if the health issues were unpleasant.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut