Skip to main content

spin doctors

We joke a lot about spin doctors in relation to politics and journalism, and how anyone can spin a story to make it sound totally different. Dan Quayle complains about the practice quite a bit in his book Standing Firm.

I've been thinking about that a lot the last few days. Mainly because Tuesday is election day here, meaning I go on call in about an hour and will have the "calm before the storm" (which is ironic given the thunderstorms out there) tonight.  Several years ago I had two opportunities to work in early voting (a special feature NC has that I love). Both places had what we call observers (where people representing a party or candidate come in and "observe" the process to make sure it is fair and honest).  The difference was in how the leadership perceived them.  At one site, our supervisor's response was "It doesn't matter whether we have observers or not. We're still going to be following the manual and our checklists and doing the best job possible. But having said that, you do need to read you manual on these pages about dealing with observers."  And at the other site, the supervisor had an attitude along this line: "I hate to tell you this, but we have observers trying to catch us doing something wrong. So be on your top behavior and don't let their mind games get to you. I hate it, but we'll just make the best of it."  Do I need to tell you which polling place was the better one to work in?

I've tried to emulate that positive and efficient site leader. I want to be the positive person tonight and tomorrow.  I don't want them groaning when they see me pull up and come in for inspection. Some will; some resent my presence. But I want them to know I see this as a team effort. I'm there to help them and if there are any problems, to effectively correct them. And I'm not very good with confrontation. It's not first nature to me.

But my goal and my prayer for tonight and tomorrow is that I will be firm, yet kind. That my brain will be free from "brain fog" when asked questions and that I can clearly articulate answers. That at the end of the day they will view this process as thorough and just to everyone...that we've put our best forward, regardless of whether anyone was watching or not.

And even though I can't/won't say this, when it's all over, I really do believe someone is watching and recording what we do and say, even if we call him God instead of "political party observer".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut