Skip to main content

Monday, Monday

The last two weeks have been quite crazy, though not necessarily in a bad way.

We had the opportunity to go to Alabama and spend time with family. While there, we visited with family, got to visit a WWII museum (Did you know Alabama was the home of two German POW camps? I didn't until this past year.) with my husband, parents, and aunt, and had a small opportunity to discuss medical issues with my Mom.  There's a strong possibility we'll head back there in the fall (to my parents, not the museum), even if Mom overrides the doctors and says no to surgery.  Watching parents age isn't fun. I briefly flipped through some old pictures one night, and found a picture (which I remember being made) of my Mom and most of her siblings when they were my age. It was kind of strange seeing it. It was like looking at my younger sister and a few cousins dressed in 80's clothes and hairstyles.

We made it home, exhausted, to deal with the fact that a strange, starving dog (now at the pound) had showed up while we were gone and killed the little rooster (not a huge loss), and that in all the excitement of people trying to get that dog for us, our dog wanted in on the action and killed a gosling. It's bad enough that we have to deal with such insanities, but I hate it when someone else has to.

And then another dog showed up two days later. We were headed to Ocean Isle to join Bobby's Mom and sister's family for a day. He's tiny, about 1/4 the size of Buster, and totally ignores the chickens. Buster has about driven him crazy wanting to play.  I'll probably take him to the vet this week (yes, he's still here) to see if he has a microchip. Meanwhile, Buster has become insanely jealous...to the point if we pay attention to ANYTHING (including geese or chickens) and not him, he wants said "squeaky toys" to play with. And of course, you can imagine what happens if a 60 lb dog has a 2 lb bird to play with. I think I managed to salvage one of the leghorn biddies this morning, but time will tell.

Right now, as I'm very tired, I would gladly get rid of all our animals and move to a smaller house with a tiny yard.

But we did have some quality and memory-building time with nieces and nephews the last two weeks (I actually gave two driving lessons to a 15 year old...who would have dreamed THAT?) and yesterday we celebrated my mother-in-law's birthday. She doesn't like for us to mention her age, though we seem to think it's all quite impressive, especially since she doesn't act her age most of the time (thankfully in a good way!).

Oh, and in the midst of all that was the normal Bernina Club/Saturday Sampler that happens every month. And this month was so cool I might even blog about it! :) But not today...I spent way too much time chasing a dog and a soaking wet biddie.  Sigh...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut