Skip to main content

a new project :)


Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know one of my goals for 2014 was to finish two projects for every one I started. But that was six months ago. 
 
Every month one of the quilt shops in Raleigh has a block of the month class (you pay for the first month, then bring your completed block in to the store and attend a 15-20 minute lecture on how to piece the next month's block for free, of $5 if you don't finish your block), followed by a guild-like group ($3.50 a month) where you learn a new quilting technique or about a new gadget and have show and tell of whatever projects you're working (except my group seldom has a lot to to show). This month's Bernina Club demonstrated a way to "dye" fabric using fresh plants, fabric, tape, and a hammer. I wasn't expecting to be overly impressed as fabric dying is NOT my thing, and I came away with my mind whirling and a multitude of project ideas.
 
Step one: Choose your leaf, flower, or grass. (Check out the internet on this, as different cholorophyll colors last and dye differently, and I found tree leaves don't pound out too well and tomato leaves have TOO much chlorophyll.) Here I'm using a sprig from our pecan tree on fabric prepared for dying (but you can use any fabric, but will need to "set" it with a white vinegar/water solution).
 

 
 
Tape the leaf flat onto the fabric with masking tape, covering every part.
(I didn't ask, but I think this helps hold the chlorphyll (aka plant blood) in place on the fabric.)
 
Flip the fabric over. You should be able to see the plant/tape through the fabric. Put it on a cutting board, or other flat, hard surface.
 
 Begin pounding with a hammer (mallets don't work well). As you crush the plant, the chlorophyll seeps into the fabric (our instructor has also used watercolor paper), essentially dying it.


Once finished, tear the tape/plant residue off. Allow to dry in a dark place. (Sunlight makes the color fade). 

I've not researched this to see whether or not fabric prepared for dying still needs to be "set" or not, but I do have a few blocks of plants that grow around our house finished. We did get to see samples of fabric that had been placed in water (city, well, and bottled) solutions to help them set, and were shocked at the differences from the original to the "set" versions. Bottled water faded/removed the color the worst. Well water did the best...go figure!  Our instructor recommended dry cleaning any products (pillows, quilts) unless we wanted a dull brown that slowly washed out of the finished product.

Regardless of whether this is a fabric or paper item, I think it's a very cool craft idea!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut