Skip to main content

not looking forward to this...

Yesterday Bobby told me there was a news article I would be very interested in. I was, but not in a great way.

The Federal Communications Commission has requested that every phone provider submit proposals detailing how they would move all customers to wireless phones (ie, do away with landlines).  Carbon Hill, AL (where my aunt lives and my Granny Rea lived the last 20 years of her life) was chosen as one of the two cities in the US where this will be tested to see what kind of problems businesses and the government can expect to encounter. I wish they had moved it 25 miles south to the community of Curry where cell reception is so HORRIBLE that many people refuse to give up their landlines or else drive into town to call anyone because the few signal towers don't have enough strength to reach all the valleys.  Not only that, but high speed internet simply does not exist there for anyone without cable. That's one of the reasons Bobby somewhat enjoys visiting my parents...you're almost totally disconnecting.

But for us, this means an even larger problem looms: cell phones are not handicap friendly. In the beginning, they were. But ever since we had to turn in his dinosaur of a phone because they no longer make batteries for them, we've had a nightmare of a time finding a cell phone that is very user friendly for him.
His old phone was wide enough that it would stay in place in his hand without slipping out (much like a land line phone will), and the buttons were large enough that his thumb that has no working muscles could press without pressure.  Now? I hot glued an elastic strip on the back of a phone (which hasn't helped any as it's more likely to be dropped as he attempts to get in place...which means no way to pick it up and no way to call anyone), but the buttons are so small and require pressure that even if he can manage to press it against something to help push a button, it's more likely going to push more than one button. We tried three different stores when searching for this the phone he has now, was flat out told at two places: "We're sorry, but there's nothing available like that" (large buttons that has no case or flip), and finally ended up buying a disposable phone at Target. It's not great, and he's only used it once in several years (and we cheered that he managed to make a call on it after several non-working attempts).  We've kept our land line and not gone to smart phones because it works for him. He can usually manage to pick up and hold the receiver. He can push all the buttons on the phones to make a call. If we have to do away with that and go to a cell phone, what happens when he (or I) need help? He was laughing this morning that he'll just have to leave me in the floor and drive somewhere to get help, of it it's him in need of help, he'll just be stuck until I get back home. That's not funny to me. As much as part of me would love to have a smart phone, the price is simply not justifiable for us. I can't rationalize paying double or triple what we pay now for a phone that's not 100% usable for both of us. (I'm also not crazy about the gps tracking and lack of security in cell phones.)

Either way, it's coming. It's really just another hurdle, and like my father-in-law told me when I was learning to care for Bobby, sometimes it's a matter of thinking how to best solve the problem instead of focusing on the fact there is a problem. He came up with some very creative solutions to things that worked well (and for a lot less money than things the medical field provides). I know this will be one of those things that we'll one day look back and laugh at, but at the moment, it's not funny at all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut